It is easy to make your own Fresh Homemade Croutons Recipe to use up bread before it spoils.
Do you ever have bread that you just know is going to go bad if you don’t use it fast? I do especially when I buy a fresh loaf from the bakery or bake my own bread.
I also make my own bread crumbs. Items of convenience such as packaged bread crumbs or croutons are typically a little pricey. You can make your own for a lot less.
One of my favorite breads I pick up at the deli is an Everything Italian Loaf – and I can get it for $1.00. I enjoy slicing it for sandwiches and I use what’s left before I think it will spoil to make croutons. Best thing it’s already seasoned and it already has olive oil on the crust.
All you have to do is cube it and bake it until golden brown. I do this by placing my bread cubes “croutons” on a lined cookie sheet and place into a preheated 325 degree oven. It only takes a few minutes so keep watch.
How to Store Homemade Croutons
Once the croutons are browned remove from the oven and let cool down completely. Place the croutons into a storage bag and you’ve got croutons on hand that are delicious and homemade.
How to Make Easy Homemade Croutons
Tasty Salad Topping
Let’s make this Fresh Homemade Croutons Recipe!
- Leftover Bakery Loaf
- 3 tbs Olive Oil or Melted Butter
- Seasonings of Choice (Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper, Italian, Garlic Powder)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cut leftover bread into cubes and add to a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil or melted butter over the cubed bread and lightly toss to coat.
- Season, if desired.
- Spread the cubed bread on a sheet pan and bake until the bread has dried and golden brown.
- Store homemade croutons in an airtight container or plastic storage bag.
If using a leftover bakery load that is already seasoned, such as "Everything", there is no need for additional seasoning.
Plain leftover bread may also be dried and made into bread crumbs for use in recipes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 59Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
- Hamburger Steaks with Onions Peppers and Mushrooms
- Easy Orange Sherbet Punch Recipe
- Easy Strawberry Cobbler Recipe
- Classic Cream Cheese and Green Olives Spread
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Pie Recipe
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
Try the recipe for No Knead Crusty White Bread from Cooking with Mary and Friends.