In this post I’ll be sharing a jazzed up Green Bean Casserole Recipe with sausage and cheese.
The famous holiday green bean casserole.
The original recipe made it’s debut in the 1950’s. It makes it’s appearance at social gatherings and holidays. In fact, it’s a dish that most people expect to see at holidays.
My family however prefers to have my Country Green Beans during holidays so I don’t make a green bean casserole often.
I always thought the original casserole to be a bit bland. So like with a lot of recipes, I had to put my own twist on things. I will occasionally make this for dinner and it’s easy to make. So here’s my flavored up version.
Green Bean Casserole with Cheese
Here are the Ingredients you’ll need:
1 large can Green Beans – 3 lb., 2 oz., drained and rinsed
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream of Onion Soup
1/4 c Country Sausage, scramble cooked (optional)
6 oz. French’s Fried Onions, divided (regular or white cheddar) If you don’t care for the fried onions, use 1 c crushed Ritz Crackers
Jazzed Up Bean Casserole with Sausage
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, combine soups, sausage, diced onion, cheese, salt and pepper and 1/3 or so of the fried onions. Add the green beans and fold everything together.
Spray a baking dish and add the casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
The remaining 15 minutes of baking add the rest of the fried onions, or crushed crackers if you prefer, return to the oven to bake the remaining cook time. I like using the white cheddar fried onions for a little extra “zing”. They are quite good.
Remove casserole from oven and allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
Holiday Green Bean Casserole
- 1 large can Green Beans - 3 lb, 2 oz, drained and rinsed
- 1 10.5 oz Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 10.5 oz Cream of Onion Soup
- 1/4 c Country Sausage, scramble cooked (optional)
- 1/4 c Onion, diced
- 1 c Cheddar, grated
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 6 oz French's Fried Onions, divided (regular or white cheddar) If you don't care for the fried onions, use 1 c crushed Ritz Crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a mixing bowl combine the soups, cooked sausage, onion, cheese, salt ,pepper and 1/3 or so of the fried onions.
- Next, add the green beans and fold everything together.
- Pour into a prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
- Add the remaining Fried Onions to the top of the casserole during the last few minutes of baking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
You Might Also Enjoy
- Scrambled Duck Eggs Recipe with Ricotta and Chives
- Best Labor Day Snack Ideas to Celebrate the End of Summer
- Easy Sour Cream Cheddar Cheese Biscuits Recipe
- Dinner Ideas with Canned Chicken and Easy Recipes
- Traditional Homemade Southern Coleslaw Recipe
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Try this Instant Pot Turkey Breast recipe from Soulfully Made.