Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole, or Christmas Casserole as it’s known at our house, is and easy to prepare recipe.
You’ve been busy with holiday cooking and want to feed the family, perhaps guests too, a great breakfast. This casserole can even be made the night before.
There’s no heavy bread in this dish. After all, aren’t we still stuffed from Christmas dinner. Fluffy eggs, your favorite breakfast sausage and cheese. Cause we all love cheese right?!
This breakfast casserole is one of my personal favorites. Us Southerners love our hot sauce too and I add a few dashes to my serving. It’s so good!
I occasionally make this when we are in the mood for a breakfast for supper kind of night. If you have leftovers, they re-heat beautifully in the oven the next day.
I appreciate an easy to prepare breakfast after I’ve spent days cooking. December also happens to be a very busy month overall with baking homemade goodies, decorating, and most likely shopping.
There are trips to the post office, cards to write and send. I love it all but am ready for the New Year after December 25th rolls around.
Printable Recipe Card at the end of this post
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Here are the ingredients that you’ll need:
- Breakfast Sausage – just use your favorite brand. We really enjoy a pasture raised sausage that we get from a local farm. We also enjoy Jimmy Dean, Neese’s and Swaggerty sausage too.
- Dried Minced Onion
- 1 Dozen Eggs
- Whole Milk
- Ground Black Pepper
- Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Low Carb Breakfast Casserole
What to serve with breakfast casserole?
A breakfast casserole can be served on its own and is quite delicious and filling, depending on appetite. We enjoy a few dashes of hot sauce with ours, as I mentioned before. You could also serve this casserole with a salsa if you like.
Other options to serve with a breakfast casserole include, toasted bread, biscuits, fresh fruit, a grape salad, or a potato dish.
How to Make It
Brown sausage in a skillet breaking up as it cooks. Next, add dried minced onion to the sausage as it browns.
Crack the dozen eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk. Add milk, salt and black pepper and whisk together to combine.
Preheat oven to 350°F
Next, add 3/4 of the cooked breakfast sausage to the bottom of a casserole dish.
Top the sausage with 1/2 of the grated cheese.
Then, pour the egg mixture over the sausage and cheese.
Cheesy Breakfast Casserole
Place into your preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the casserole is nearly set. After 30 minutes top the casserole with the remaining cheese and top with the reserved cooked sausage.
Return to the oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes so that the cheese is well melted.
Allow the hot casserole to cool for at least five minutes, then cut into squares and serve.
This casserole is so delicious and you will love it. It is a great casserole to enjoy for any meal and perfect when hosting family gatherings.
Best Ever Breakfast Egg Casserole
- 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
- 1 tbs Dried Minced Onion
- 1 Dozen Eggs
- 3/4 c Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 c Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
- Brown sausage in a skillet breaking up as it cooks. Add dried minced onion to the sausage as it browns.
- Add one dozen eggs to a mixing bowl and whisk. Add milk, salt and black pepper and whisk together to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add 3/4 of the cooking sausage to the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Top the sausage with 1/2 of the grated cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and cheese.
- Place into your preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until nearly set.
- After 30 minutes top the casserole with the remaining cheese and top with the reserved cooked sausage.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes so that the cheese is well melted.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 318mgSodium: 934mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 24g
Sausage Egg and Cheese Casserole Without Bread
See the Latest Recipe Posts
- Down Home Southern Large Lima Butter Beans Recipe
- Easy Creamy Salmon Pasta Salad Recipe
- Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe with Raisins and Coconut
- Canned Turkey Stuffing Casserole Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe
- Sautéed Fresh Green Beans Recipe with Garlic and Bacon
- Easy Crock Pot Cornbread Dressing Recipe
See this recipe at Weekend Potluck
Popular Recipes on the Blog
- Homemade Country White Gravy Recipe
- Easy Baked Cubed Beef Steaks
- Classic Southern Meatloaf Recipe
- Traditional Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- Southern Purple Hull Peas
- Julia’s Southern Hot Dog Chili Recipe
- Easy Country Style Pork Ribs with Barbecue
- Creamed Chipped Beef and Toast
Thank you so much for stopping by! I am so glad that you did. I know that you’ll love this delicious and easy fix breakfast casserole just as much as we do.