In this post I’ll be sharing a delicious comforting Shepherd’s Pie Recipe made with ground beef and lamb.
Shepherd’s Pie is a traditional Irish dish. It’s a delicious and hearty meal. If you’ve never had Shepherd’s Pie, I would describe it as a pot pie without the crust that’s topped with mashed potatoes and baked. YUM! It’s rich in flavor and a family favorite.
Shepherd’s pie is pure comfort food. The meat and vegetable mixture is cooked in a rich and savory sauce. Anything that is topped off with mashed potatoes is a win in my book.
If you are searching for a delicious meal to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the shepherd’s pie would be perfect!
Traditional Shepherd’s Pie
In a dutch oven or large pot, add olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Heat over medium heat.
Comfort Food Recipe
That is Pure Deliciousness!
Shepherd's Pie Filling
- 1 lb. Ground Lamb
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 c Carrots, diced
- 1/4 c Celery, diced
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1.5 c Beef Broth or Stock
- 1/2 c Red Wine
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/3 c All Purpose Flour
- 10 oz. Frozen Peas
Mashed Potato Topping
- 5 Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut up
- 4 tbsp. Butter, softened
- 1/4 c Heavy Cream
- 1/4 c White Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, add olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Heat over medium heat.
- Add carrots and celery to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes.
Next add the onions, herbs, salt, pepper and sauté until onions begin to become translucent - about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground lamb and ground beef to the pot with the vegetables and cook until browned.
- Move the vegetables and meat to the side of the pot and add the flour. Cook for a minute or two to take away that "flour taste".
- Add the beef broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste in and mix everything together. It will start to thicken after a moment.
- Turn the heat down to simmer for 10 minutes.
Turn the heat off and stir in frozen peas. Cover the pot until ready to add to the casserole dish.
- Prepare the Mashed Potato Topping: Peel, rinse and dice potatoes. Add them to a pot and cover with water for boiling. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the potatoes begin to boil, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Add softened butter to a mixing bowl. Measure out heavy cream and set aside. Measure out fresh grated white cheddar and set aside. When the cooking time is finished for the potatoes, drain well in a colander. Add potatoes to the mixing bowl with the butter.
With a hand mixer, whip potatoes on high for a minute or two.
Add heavy cream, cheese, salt and pepper and whip on high until creamy.
- Lightly spray a casserole dish and add meat and vegetable mixture. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake until the potatoes begin to brown on top - 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow the Shepherd's Pie to rest for five minutes after you remove from the oven before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 608mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g