In this post I’ll be sharing a delicious comforting Shepherd’s Pie Recipe made with ground beef and lamb.
Shepherd’s Pie is a traditional Irish dish. It’s a delicious and hearty meal. If you’ve never had Shepherd’s Pie, I would describe it as a pot pie without the crust that’s topped with mashed potatoes and baked. YUM! It’s rich in flavor and a family favorite.
Shepherd’s pie is pure comfort food. The meat and vegetable mixture is cooked in a rich and savory sauce. Anything that is topped off with mashed potatoes is a win in my book.
If you are searching for a delicious meal to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the shepherd’s pie would be perfect!
Traditional Shepherd’s Pie
In a dutch oven or large pot, add olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Heat over medium heat.
Comfort Food Recipe
That is Pure Deliciousness!
Traditional Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Delicious and comforting shepherd's pie made with ground beef and lamb with vegetables cooked in a rich flavorful sauce topped with mashed potatoes.
Shepherd's Pie Filling
- 1 lb. Ground Lamb
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 c Carrots, diced
- 1/4 c Celery, diced
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1.5 c Beef Broth or Stock
- 1/2 c Red Wine
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/3 c All Purpose Flour
- 10 oz. Frozen Peas
Mashed Potato Topping
- 5 Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut up
- 4 tbsp. Butter, softened
- 1/4 c Heavy Cream
- 1/4 c White Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, add olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Heat over medium heat.
- Add carrots and celery to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes.
Next add the onions, herbs, salt, pepper and sauté until onions begin to become translucent - about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground lamb and ground beef to the pot with the vegetables and cook until browned.
- Move the vegetables and meat to the side of the pot and add the flour. Cook for a minute or two to take away that "flour taste".
- Add the beef broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste in and mix everything together. It will start to thicken after a moment.
- Turn the heat down to simmer for 10 minutes.
Turn the heat off and stir in frozen peas. Cover the pot until ready to add to the casserole dish.
- Prepare the Mashed Potato Topping: Peel, rinse and dice potatoes. Add them to a pot and cover with water for boiling. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the potatoes begin to boil, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Add softened butter to a mixing bowl. Measure out heavy cream and set aside. Measure out fresh grated white cheddar and set aside. When the cooking time is finished for the potatoes, drain well in a colander. Add potatoes to the mixing bowl with the butter.
With a hand mixer, whip potatoes on high for a minute or two.
Add heavy cream, cheese, salt and pepper and whip on high until creamy.
- Lightly spray a casserole dish and add meat and vegetable mixture. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake until the potatoes begin to brown on top - 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow the Shepherd's Pie to rest for five minutes after you remove from the oven before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 608mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g
You Might Also Enjoy
Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
Irish Colcannon Casserole Recipe
Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole Recipe
Author of Julia's Simply Southern
Hey Y'all! I'm Julia, the cook and writer behind the recipes here at Julia's Simply Southern. I began my website so that I could share easy to follow recipes that anyone can use to put a home cooked meal on the dinner table. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Follow me on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | YouTube
Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats
Thursday 15th of March 2018
Such a great classic recipe! Thanks for sharing at Friday Frenzy Link Party! PINNED :)
Thursday 15th of March 2018
Thanks friend :)
Tuesday 7th of March 2017
Your Shepherds Pie looks like real comfort food to me! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back to see us real soon!Miz Helen