In this post I’ll be sharing a delicious Baked Chicken and Rice Recipe.
Oven baked chicken and rice casserole is a favorite family dinner. The chicken and rice bake in the same casserole dish making preparation really easy. The simple recipe is a go to meal for busy families.
These days I prefer buying whole chickens and cutting them up myself. It saves a few dollars. You can buy the chicken already cut up if you prefer.
Creamy baked chicken casserole is so moist and delicious and is ready to serve in just over an hour.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
This easy casserole recipe takes about an hour to cook. The rice is so creamy and delicious and there are a couple of aromatic vegetables that lend extra flavor while it bakes.
While I chose to use a cream of mushroom soup in my dish, you could really use any of the creamed soups that are “great for cooking”, like cream of celery, cream of chicken or cream of onion.
Baked Chicken and Rice with Cream of Mushroom
This is truly a winning meal that deserves a place in your meal rotation schedule. Your entire family will love this tasty chicken dinner.
Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Preparation is super simple and fast for this chicken rice bake. I combine the rice with the creamy soup mixture, diced onion and celery. Arrange the chicken pieces over the rice. Yes, it’s really that easy!
Busy moms and dads, this is the answer to “what should I fix for dinner after a long busy day?”.
As I previously mention, I prefer buying the whole chicken and cutting it up myself. Once you get the hang of cutting up a chicken, it is so easy and takes just a couple of minutes.
I also like the fact that I have more control over the size of the chicken I need for my meal preparation.
Use kitchen shears to remove the backbone, or spatchcock, the chicken makes the cutting up process easier. I add the back bone to my collection of chicken parts in the freezer for making stock.
You’ll cover your casserole for much of the time that it bakes in the oven so that the rice has plenty of moisture to cook until tender.
Southern Baked Chicken and Rice
Once your chicken and rice come out of the oven, use a serving spoon or fork to fluff up the rice before serving. I recommend allowing the casserole to cool down slightly, about 10 minutes, before serving.
Doesn’t that look delicious? This is the best chicken and rice recipe. It is one of those meals that have been around forever and a day. A tried and true classic.
Let’s make this Baked Chicken and Rice Recipe!
- 3 lb. Whole Chicken, cut up
- 1 tbsp. of Softened Butter (to grease the casserole dish)
- 2- 15 oz. Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 c Chicken Stock (or broth)
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- ½ c Celery, diced
- 1¼ c White Long Grain Rice
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1½ tsp of Salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ⅛ tsp Paprika (optional, to give the chicken skin color)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Use softened butter to grease the baking dish and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl; combine the cream of mushroom soup with chicken stock. Next add the rice, vegetables and seasonings; stir to combine. Pour the rice mixture in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the rice mixture. Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sprinkle a little paprika on the chicken for added color to the skin as it bakes.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 Piece Baking Gift Set - Aluminum Sheet Pan, Silicone Baking Mat & Stainless Steel Cooling Rack
- QCWN Chef Kitchen Apron- BBQ Grill Apron - Funny BBQ Cooking Baking Apron - 1 Size Fits All Beer and Fried Chicken Chef Apron, Adjustable Neck and Extra Long Waist Ties (Styel#1)
- Porcelain Rectangle Baking Dish Set of 2, Floral Pizza Pie Cheese Serving Bakeware Oven Household Tableware(Baking dish set of 2)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 564Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 156mgSodium: 485mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 50g
Appetizers Baking Beef Breads Breakfast casserole Chicken Christmas classic Dessert Desserts Easy easy family meals Easy Meals Easy Recipe family budget meals Family Dinner Ideas Family Meal Planning Family Meals Food Bloggers FREE MEAL PLAN free meal planning healthy meal planning Holidays Homemade Main Courses Meal Ideas MEAL PLAN Meal Plan Monday Meal Planning Meal Prep Pasta Pork Poultry Recipe Recipe Ideas Recipes Sauces Dips & Spreads Seafood Side Dish Side Dishes Soups and Salads Southern Thanksgiving Vegetables
See the Latest Recipe Posts
- Frosty Cranberry Pie Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 239 Apple Butter Pie
- Meal Plan Monday 238 Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
- Baked Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 237 Fluffy Pancakes
You Might Also Enjoy These Chicken Dinner Recipes
Thank you for stopping by! Be sure to sign up for my weekly email newsletter so you never miss my latest posts and news of what’s happening on the blog. You can also follow along with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.