Find out how to make a classic Old Fashioned Bread Pudding in this post.
Perhaps you consider bread pudding to be a recipe of generations past. It was certainly a regular dish on my grandmother’s table. Maybe you’ve never tried bread pudding at all.
Bread pudding is one of the classic ways to use up every scrap of bread you have lying around. It didn’t matter what type of stale bread or biscuits were used as long as they didn’t go to waste.
Bread pudding has been around for nearly a thousand years. Any recipe that survives centuries and still shows up on dessert menus of fine restaurants is certainly worth a try.
There’s only one problem at my house….we don’t usually have stale bread (insert my confession to being a carb-a-holic) so I have to make my own stale bread. A bit ironic, don’t you think?
It is all worth it however to make this delicious comfort food dessert of basic bread pudding.
Bread pudding also makes a great addition to holiday dessert menus.
Folks have different styles in which they enjoy making a bread pudding. Some are completely submerged in the custard. My recipe covers all of the bread with the custard sauce but the top pieces stay above and toast a bit when cooking so you have a mix with a few crunchy bits. It gives this dessert a wonderful texture.
Custard Bread Pudding
You likely have everything you need to make this dessert, here’s what you’ll need: A loaf of bread, butter, raisins, sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
Full Printable Recipe at the end of this post
First, if you’re like me you’ll need to “make” your stale bread. You can cut up the bread and put it into the oven on a low temperature to dry out a bit. I prefer the really easy way….I cut up the bread into cubes and leave it out on the counter all day, then I store it in a container on the counter overnight. Voila! We have stale bread. The bread is ready for your pudding recipe.
Brioche Bread Pudding
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C)
Step 1: Add the raisins to a small bowl and cover with hot water to plump for twenty minutes. Place the prepared bread pieces into a casserole dish. Melt the butter and drizzle over the bread and lightly toss. This step also helps grease the casserole dish for baking.
Step 2: Combine the sugar, cinnamon, eggs, milk and vanilla extract by whisking together in a mixing bowl to make the bread pudding sauce (custard). Drain the raisins and sprinkle over the bread mixture then pour the custard sauce evenly over the bread. Lightly toss everything together then place into the oven and bake 30-40 minutes.
Bread pudding is out of this world delicious! Seriously, if you’ve never had it then you need to make this recipe and give it a try. I promise you’ll be making it time and time again.
Bread pudding can be served hot or cold.
Can you see all of the deliciousness in this perfect bite?
Old Fashioned Desserts
- 1 Loaf of Sliced Brioche Bread (17.63 oz or similar. White bread is fine too)
- 4 tbs Butter, melted
- 3/4 c Raisins
- 1 c Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, beaten
- 2 c Whole Milk
- 2 tbs Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- The day before, cut bread into cubes and leave out all day. Cover or store in a plastic storage bag overnight until ready to bake the bread pudding.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add the raisins to a small bowl and cover with hot water from the tap to allow to plump for 20 minutes.
- Place the cubed bread pieces in a 4 quart casserole dish.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the bread pieces, then lightly toss the bread with the butter.
- Next, make the custard sauce by adding the sugar and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Next, add the eggs, milk and vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and whisk until everything is combined.
- Next, drain the raisins and sprinkle over the bread then pour the custard sauce mixture evenly over the bread.Lightly toss the bread with the custard sauce then place into the oven and bake 30-40 minutes.
- Serve bread pudding hot or cold. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Le Creuset Heritage Stoneware 12-by-9-Inch Covered Rectangular Dish, Cerise (Cherry Red)
Spring Chef Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons for Dry or Liquid, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6
Set of 3 Stainless Steel Whisk 8"+10"+12", Kitchen Balloon Hand Stainless Whisk Set for Blending Whisking Beating Stirring by Ouddy
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 8.2g
Old Fashioned Bread Pudding
- Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe Sausage
- Southern Style Crock Pot Green Beans
- Turkey Tenderloin Air Fryer
- Kirkland Canned Chicken Salad Recipe
- Hamburger Steaks with Onions Peppers and Mushrooms
- Easy Orange Sherbet Punch Recipe