In this post, I’ll be sharing an easy Basic Cupcake Recipe with Buttercream Frosting.
Last weekend was cool and rainy so I pulled out my mixing bowls and decided to do a little baking. Homemade cupcakes to be exact.
While I was at it then I thought…if I’m gonna bake cupcakes then I need to make the frosting too so I can share it on the blog.
I usually prefer a cream cheese frosting but I didn’t have any cream cheese on hand. I did have all of the ingredients for a vanilla buttercream frosting however.
Cupcakes tend to be less intimidating to make than a multi-layered cake. That’s one of the main reasons I enjoy baking cupcakes more often than a cake. They’re also easier to decorate. Cake decorating is not my talent.
Moist Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
Cupcakes are wonderful with just a swirl of frosting and there are so many varieties of cute sprinkles these days to add for any occasion.
Needless to say that the cupcakes were scrumptious! We each enjoyed one before I sent the rest with my husband to gift the neighbors. My sneaky way of portion control so I didn’t eat them all. HA!
The neighbors don’t know that I’m a food blogger and probably just think I’m some crazy cooking lady that likes to give away food.
Yellow Cupcake Recipe
What’s the difference between yellow cake and white cake? Eggs. A yellow cake gets it color from using the whole egg and a white cake just has egg whites in the recipe.
How do you make cupcakes moist? Butter and cooking oil keep cupcakes moist and airy.
How do you make good cupcakes? Use good quality ingredients, have eggs and other dairy at room temperature (unless otherwise instructed in the recipe), Use a scoop for equal portions so all cupcakes bake the same, and preheat the oven before placing the cupcakes in to bake.
Easy Cupcakes from Scratch
How do you make frosting creamy and fluffy? Making frosting can vary depending on time of year and weather. Although it was a rainy day, it’s also fall and a bit drier in the house. To make stiff frosting creamy and fluffier, add small amounts of milk and mix until you get the desired consistency.
The vanilla buttercream is easy to use in a piping bag with a decorator’s tip when it’s fluffy. Of course you can frost just using a spatula too if you prefer.
Simple Vanilla Cupcakes
Check out more of my easy dessert recipes, HERE.
How do you make easy cupcakes? Well, it’s easy and I’m gonna share the step by step instructions below in the printable recipe card. You can also check out the video on this post to see some of the steps along the way.
- 2 c All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Stick of Butter, softened
- 1 c Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1.5 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 c Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 c Whole Milk
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Stick of Butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 c Vegetable Shortening
- 16 oz Confectioner's Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbs Milk, more or less if needed
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- In a mixing bowl: whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl: cream together the butter and granulated sugar with a hand mixer. Next, add the eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until combined.
- In alternating thirds, beginning with the flour and ending with the milk, add to the wet ingredients and mix to combine between each addition. Finally, add the vegetable oil and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Add cupcake liners to a cupcake pan then use an ice cream scoop to fill in equal portions.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes come out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Cream the butter and shortening together in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer then add the remaining ingredients. Continue mixing to combine.
- If needed, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve desired consistency. If you desire colored frosting then you can add food coloring at this point and combine.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag with a decorator tip, if desired, and frost cooled cupcakes. NOTE: frosting warm cupcakes will cause the frosting to melt.
- Decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wilton 46-Piece Deluxe Cake Decorating Set, Cake Decorating Supplies
KitchenAid KHM512OB 5-Speed Hand Mixer, Onyx Black
Cookie Scoop Set, Ice Cream Scoop with Trigger, Multiple Size Large-Medium-Small Size Professional 18/8 Stainless Steel Cupcake Scoop
Premium Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
BAKHUK 200pcs Tulip Cupcake Baking Cups, Muffin Baking Liners Holders, Rustic Cupcake Wrapper, Brown, White and Nature Color
Wilton 2105-6789 Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup, STANDARD, Silver
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 562Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 1gSugar: 54gProtein: 4g
- Meal Plan Monday 204 Steak Gorgonzola
- Meal Plan Monday 203 Breakfast Spaghetti
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes with Horseradish
- Meal Plan Monday 202 Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Low Carb Hamburger Vegetable Soup
Thank you for stopping by! I hope you make a batch of these wonderful cupcakes to enjoy soon. Be sure to check out more of our recipes while you’re here.