In this post I’m sharing a delicious Stewed Beef Tips and Rice recipe.
Stewed Beef Tips, served over rice or buttered noodles, is a time tested favorite recipe. The method of stewing meats has been around since people started cooking. It remains popular today because it is easy and delicious.
Back in ancient times it was probably much easier to prepare meats this way since they were cooking in a pot over open fire. The old saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” pops into mind.
Easy Beef Tips Recipe
I recall growing up watching family cooks stew meat. Sometimes with a gravy such as this dish, which has always been a favorite of mine. Other times the meats were just stewed and served as is. To me the latter version was always a bit bland. Besides, I like gravy! Most people do.
I think you can probably imagine that with a few more ingredients this recipe can turn into many other things, such as with the addition of vegetables, you end up with beef stew. Another favorite for many. So this basic recipe is a good one for any cook to have in their collection of go to meals.
The recipe is versatile and can be made in a slow cooker. I prefer the stove top method because your meal is ready to serve in an hour.
Beef Tips with Rice or Potatoes
- Bacon Fat
- Black Pepper
- Beef Stock
- Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- All Purpose Flour
- Cream of Onion Condensed Soup
Southern Stew Beef Recipe
Smothered Beef Tips and Rice
- 1 tsp Bacon Fat
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1.5 - 2 lbs Beef
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 c Beef Stock
- 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1/4 c Water
- 1 tbs All Purpose Flour
- 10.5 oz Cream of Onion Condensed Soup
- In a stock pot, add bacon fat and butter. Heat over medium high.
- Cube the beef into bite size pieces, about one inch in size.
- Add the cubed beef to the pot and brown.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef stock and beef bouillon base. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to medium low and simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Next make a slurry to thicken things up. Add water to a liquid measuring cup and add the flour. Whisk together well until the flour is incorporated with the water.
- Add slurry mixture to the stewing meat. You should notice it begins to thicken after a moment.
- Add the Cream of Onion (Cream of Mushroom works well too) to the pot and stir to combine.
- Return the lid to cover the pot and cook another 30 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice or potatoes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 574Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 778mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 49g