In this post I am sharing my easy Creamy Country Chicken Stew recipe. It takes just a few minutes of prep work and cooks up in an hour on the stove top. I’ll also be sharing cooking times for the crock pot if that suits you better.
Do you ever have one of those days where you feel a bit under the weather and just want something comforting to eat? I had one of those days yesterday.
I decided to cook up a pot of chicken stew. The chicken stew was warm and delicious and hit the spot.
We love chicken stew because it has a flavorful and creamy broth, full of vegetables and is just good for you.
If you’re from the Carolinas or Georgia, you might even consider this a chicken mull recipe. My variation just uses boneless breast pieces instead of a whole chicken.
No matter what you call it, you’ll love this easy chicken stew with potatoes, carrots, aromatic vegetables and fresh green beans.
Since this is a stew recipe, you’ll notice that I’ve chopped the vegetables kind of chunky to keep that rustic stew feel in the recipe.
Let’s get cooking! Remember, you’ll find the full printable recipe at the end of this post. If you enjoy this recipe, please share and pin it to help me get the word out. I really appreciate it.
Southern Chicken Stew
Step 1: Prep the chicken and vegetables. Snap the ends of the fresh green beans and snap the beans in half or thirds depending on length. Next, slice the celery, dice the onion, mince garlic cloves, chop carrots, peel and chop potatoes and set aside. Open a can of corn and drain, then set aside. Use a separate cutting board to cut the chicken breasts into chunks.
Step 2: Next, add a couple of tablespoons of butter to a dutch oven or soup pot. Heat the pot over medium heat. Once the butter is melted add the chicken and aromatic vegetables (onion, celery and garlic), then saute for a minute or two. Next, add the remaining vegetables to the pot.
Step 3: Next, combine the cream of chicken soup and chicken stock in a mixing bowl then pour into the stew mixture. Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Next, add water and cover the pot with a lid.
Bring to a simmer and cook for one hour. Lastly, when the cooking time is finished, add heavy cream (half & half or whole milk are fine too) and stir to incorporate with the rest of the ingredients. Serve hot with cornbread muffins if desired.
Here are a few more chicken recipes you might enjoy: Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken & Noodles, White Chicken Chili, or Southern Smothered Chicken. For more chicken recipe, just type chicken in the search box at the top of the page and hit enter.
Slow Cooker Option
|Slow Cooker on LOW||6.5-8 Hours|
|Slow Cooker on HIGH||3-4 Hours|
If preparing the recipe using a slow cooker: Turn the slow cooker on, add the butter and cover with a lid. Once the slow cooker is hot and the butter has melted, add the rest of the ingredients and cook until done using the cooking time chart above.
Simple Chicken Stew Recipe (Chicken Mull)
Let’s make this Creamy Country Chicken Stew!
- 2 tbs Butter
- 1.5 lbs Boneless Chicken Breast
- 10.5 oz Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 4 c Chicken Stock
- 1/2 lb Fresh Green Beans
- 1 c Chopped Celery
- 3 Large Carrots
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 Small to Medium Russet Potatoes
- 11 oz Canned Corn, drained
- 1 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 2 c Water
- 1/4 c Heavy Cream
- On a small cutting board, cut the chicken breast into chunks and set aside.
- Next, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup and chicken stock in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Next, snap the ends off of the green beans and discard. Snap the beans in half or thirds depending on size.
- Next, prep the other vegetables: chop celery, dice an onion, chop carrots, mince garlic, peel & chop potatoes into chunks and set aside. Open the can of corn and drain the juices, set aside.
- Add the butter to a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the chicken, celery, onion and garlic. Stir to combine and cook for one minute.
- Next, add the remaining vegetables to the pot.
- Pour the cream of mushroom and stock mixture over the stew ingredients in the pot.
- Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Next, add the water to the pot, cover with a lid and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for one hour.
- Finally, add the heavy cream, stir to incorporate with the rest of the ingredients. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Serve stew hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 634mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 44g