Banana Pudding from Scratch
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Box of Nilla Wafers
- 5 ripe bananas, sliced
Easy Banana Pudding
Vanilla Wafer Banana Pudding
Southern Banana Pudding Recipe
Let’s make this Old Fashioned Banana Pudding!
Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
Classic banana pudding from scratch with a delicious vanilla custard layered with bananas and vanilla wafers
- 1/2 c Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 c All Purpose Flour
- Dash of Salt
- 3 Egg Yolks (save whites for optional meringue)
- 2 c Whole Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 45 Nilla Wafers (about half the box, plus more for garnish)
- 5 Ripe Bananas (plus more sliced banana for garnish when serving)
Optional Meringue Topping
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/4 c Granulated Sugar
- The Pudding
- Make a double boiler by adding water to a medium sauce pan and heating over medium. Use a mixing bowl that will rest on top of the sauce pan.
- Add the sugar, flour and salt to the mixing bowl and whisk together, then add the milk and egg yolks and whisk to combine.
- Cook while stirring constantly until thickened, about 10-12 minutes.
- Once the custard has thickened, remove the mixing bowl from the sauce pan, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Layer vanilla wafers, sliced bananas and the vanilla custard in a dish repeating until the custard is gone.
- Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate. Serve garnished with more vanilla wafers and sliced banana if desired.
- Optional Meringue Topping
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form then gradually add in 1/4 cup of sugar and continue beating until still peaks are formed.
- Top the banana pudding dessert evenly sealing the meringue to the edges and bake in a 350°F oven until browned.
- Cool slightly before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 7g
Don’t forget to follow us on social media and share our recipes
Thank you for stopping by! We’ll see you again soon.
See this recipe at Meal Plan Monday and Weekend Potluck
Thank you so much for stopping by! I am so glad that you did. I hope that you get to enjoy a bowl full of this classic homemade banana pudding soon.
Be sure to subscribe to my email list while you are here. As a subscriber you’ll receive a weekly newsletter from me with the latest recipes and news here on the blog so that you never miss a thing.
Author of Julia's Simply Southern
Hey Y'all! I'm Julia, the cook and writer behind the recipes here at Julia's Simply Southern. I began my website so that I could share easy to follow recipes that anyone can use to put a home cooked meal on the dinner table. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Follow me on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | YouTube