In this post I am sharing how to make an old fashioned dessert with this Easy Apple Crisp Recipe. It’s one of my personal favorites!
This recipe comes together quickly because it is semi-homemade using an apple pie filling.
The crispy oat topping is one of the best parts of this dessert. It is delicious as is or serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This seemed to have been a favorite dessert menu item for school lunches back in the days when I was a child. Do they still serve this for school lunches?
- 2 Cans of Apple Pie Filling
- Powdered Sugar
- Ground Cloves
- 1 Stick Butter
- Oatmeal Oats
- Granulated Sugar
- light Brown Sugar
Apple Crisp with Pie Filling
Be sure to check out these apple desserts while you’re here
Use a pie baking dish or a baking dish of your choice, add the apple pie filling.
The spicy pie filling smells amazing as this apple dessert bakes in the oven.
Is apple crisp the same as apple crumble? These two desserts are very similar. Apple crumble is a British dessert. Apple crisp is American and originated during World War II when food was rationed.
Should apple crisp be covered when baking? It depends. If you feel that your topping is browning too much then you can loosely cover it with foil for the remaining cook time. Since this recipe is semi-homemade there is no need to cover because baking time is cut short.
Next, top the pie filling with the oat topping mixture then bake until hot and bubbly.
If your diet requires that you eat gluten free, this topping recipe can easily be prepared with gluten free oats and flour.
- 2 21 oz. Cans of Apple Pie Filling
- 1 Cup Powdered Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 c Quick Cooking Oats
- 1 c All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 c Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 c Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the canned apple pie filling with the confectioner's sugar and spices; add to a baking dish.
- Next; prepare the topping mixture in a small bowl by combining the oats with the sugars, flour and salt then cut in the butter using your fingers or a pastry cutter. When crumbly, layer on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes until hot and bubbly and browned on top.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 238mgCarbohydrates: 103gFiber: 3gSugar: 79gProtein: 3g
You might also like: Apple Crisp Coffee Cake from Spicy Southern Kitchen.
- Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe Sausage
- Southern Style Crock Pot Green Beans
- Turkey Tenderloin Air Fryer
- Kirkland Canned Chicken Salad Recipe
- Hamburger Steaks with Onions Peppers and Mushrooms
Thank you for stopping by! Be sure to sign up for my weekly email newsletter so that you never miss the latest recipes here on the blog.
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Come be social y’all! I’ll see you there.