Dinner/ Featured

Salmon Croquettes

Growing up in the South, you likely ate salmon croquettes. Perhaps more than you cared for. I have to admit, I did not care for them at all as a child. I would drown them in ketchup just so I could tolerate eating them. Tastes change as we grow up and now I find this southern staple food delicious with just a small dollop of tartar sauce or red remoulade sauce.

Salmon croquettes are also known as salmon patties or salmon cakes. The use of canned salmon made this dish popular during the 1920’s when chain grocery stores, such as the Piggly Wiggly, made cheap canned foods available to the working class.

Recipes vary from person to person, so here we go with my version of this classic dish.

Ingredients

• 3 6 oz Cans Red Salmon (Skinless/Boneless), drained
  • 2 Eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 c Mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 tbs Old Bay Seasoning
  • Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbs Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
  • 1 tbs Chives, chopped
  • 1 Small Onion, finely diced
  • 1/4 c Green Bell Pepper, finely diced
  • 1.5 c Bread Crumbs, divided
  • 1/2 c Vegetable Oil
Drain canned salmon and set aside.
In a mixing bowl mix beaten eggs and mayonnaise together.
Add salt, Old Bay, pepper, and lemon juice together.
Add canned salmon, onion, and bell pepper. Stir to combine everything together.
Add 1 cup of the bread crumbs to the mixture and stir to combine with the salmon mixture.

I want to mention that you can certainly use a regular 14-15 oz can of Salmon. Be sure to remove the skin and bones. My personal preference is to use the cans that are already free of skin and bones. It is slightly more expensive but I don’t mind since I hate picking through the salmon. You can also use a pound of fresh cooked flaked salmon if you have it on hand.

Form your salmon mixture into croquettes, or patties if you prefer to call them.
Dredge each croquette into the remaining 1/2 cup of bread crumbs to coat each side.
Place croquettes on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking. I find that chilling helps to maintain a nice shape during cooking. If you don’t have the time, you can cook them right away. You can chill them a bit longer too if you want to prep earlier in the day until you’re ready to cook supper.
Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot for frying.
Add salmon croquettes and cook to brown on each side, 3-4 minutes per side. Turn carefully during cooking.

salmon croquette recipe

Drain cooked croquettes on a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil before serving.

Salmon Croquettes

• 1 tbs Chives, chopped
  • 1 Small Onion, finely diced
  • 1/4 c Green Bell Pepper, finely diced
  • 1.5 c Bread Crumbs, divided
  • 1/2 c Vegetable Oil

Instructions

Drain canned salmon and set aside.

In a mixing bowl mix beaten eggs and mayonnaise together.

Add salt, Old Bay, pepper, and lemon juice together.

Add canned salmon, onion, and bell pepper. Stir to combine everything together.

Place croquettes on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking. I find that chilling helps to maintain a nice shape during cooking. If you don't have the time, you can cook them right away. You can chill them a bit longer too if you want to prep earlier in the day until you're ready to cook supper.

Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot for frying.

See it at:

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

Vicky
    February 4, 2017 at 9:42 am

I grew up eating what we call salmon patties in KY :-). I haven't had these since I was a child. I make tuna patties all the time but never use salmon. I'm gonna try your recipe!! Thank you for the memory. My Mom passed away over 8 years ago and this was one of her favorites!

Julia's Simply Southern
      February 5, 2017 at 6:05 pm

I hope you enjoy them Vicky. I've never made them with tuna, so I'll have to give that one a try 🙂

Miz Helen
    February 7, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Salmon Croquettes one of my all time favorites! I really appreciate you sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday, hope you have a great day and hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

Roseann Hampton
    February 25, 2017 at 1:34 am

My mom used to make chicken croquettes when I was young. Pinning to try these!

Kathy Olson
    April 4, 2017 at 8:49 pm

I grew up eating these in Oklahoma. Thanks for the reminder – I'll have to try and make these!

Unknown
    April 30, 2017 at 6:02 pm

My mom, who was raised in east Texas, made these all the time for our family. We all loved them, but she always made them in large round balls. I can't remember how she cooked them but I'll have to guess she deep fried them so that they still came out round. Yes, ketchup was the condiment of choice. I'll try this recipe hopefully to bring back great childhood memories of my momma. I'm 63, momma died 3 years ago at age 99.

Julia
      May 1, 2017 at 3:50 am

Thank you for stopping by and sharing with us. I hope you get the try it soon and enjoy!

Joan
    May 13, 2017 at 11:29 am

I love salmon patties (as we called them). Can I tell you a croquette story? When my son was about 3, he was a v-e-r-y picky eater. My mother kept telling me just feed him, when he's hungry he will eat. One evening, he was having a sleepover at gramma and grampa's without his sister. A very big deal. My mother put chicken croquettes on the table. But forgot about how picky this child was. She put gravy on his (just like every one else) and tears ensued. He cried and cried and told her she had ruined it. She eventually had to take the plate into the kitchen to 'get him a new one'. She simply wiped the gravy off carefully, and put the croquette back onto the plate. He at it without a whimper.

Julia
      May 13, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Joan, thank you for stopping by and sharing with us!

Jolie
    August 18, 2017 at 2:30 pm

nice post

Nana of the North
    September 12, 2017 at 9:50 pm

As a child I grew up on Lutefisk at Christmas, it was always served with white sauce, melted butter and powdered mustard. This is how I serve my salmon patties. I call it my little touch of a Norwegian Christmas. I love the bones as do my daughters, they would pick the canned salmon clean of the them before I made the patties.

Mom24
    February 21, 2018 at 9:21 am

Canned salmon bones are quite soft and edible, they’re a great source of calcium.

Julia Jordan
      February 21, 2018 at 12:51 pm

I’ve had quite a few people tell me that they eat them. I’ve never tried it that way.

Leslie
    June 3, 2018 at 6:26 pm

I don’t do any of the social media that are options for signing up. May I follow via email? leslieannstevenson@yahoo.com. If so, thank you.

Julia Jordan
      June 6, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Leslie,
      You’re on the email list 🙂

Stacey English
    June 19, 2018 at 1:22 pm

I’m from southern middle Tennessee. My Nanny called them salmon croquettes, so I do too 😉 She also removed all bones and skin. I think boneless/skinless canned salmon is a wonderful thing!

Julia Jordan
      June 20, 2018 at 9:50 am

I love the boneless/skinless canned salmon. Such a time saver too!