In this post I’m sharing how to make an Easy Cheesy Broccoli Bake.
The combination of broccoli and cheese is a classic favorite. This side dish will become a family favorite.
My love of broccoli began in childhood when the fascination of eating tiny trees compelled me to eat it. It has become one of my favorite vegetables.
We serve up broccoli a variety of ways at our house but when given the chance to add cheese to the party I’m all in. I may be a little obsessed with cheese. Really…I love cheese! A Lot!
Healthy Broccoli Bake
Broccoli itself is very healthy and considered to be a nutritional powerhouse. This particular casserole side dish is made without canned soup.
For the record, I have nothing against the traditional broccoli casserole that is made with the easy go to creamy soups. I love it in fact and plan to share one in the future.
This recipe however is just fresh vegetables and a homemade creamy cheese sauce topped with some crumbled butter crackers for a bit of crunch.
How Do You Make Cheesy Broccoli Bake?
It’s really easy to make this delicious side dish. It’s perfect for everyday meals or holiday dinners.
Here’s what you’ll need: fresh broccoli, butter, vegetable oil, an onion, flour, milk, a few seasonings, freshly grated cheddar cheese, and a sleeve of butter crackers (like Ritz).
You’ll find a full printable recipe card below.
Fresh Broccoli Cheese Casserole Bake
Step 1: Prep Work…wash and cut up the broccoli. We’re using all of the broccoli not just the crown. Next, peel and dice an onion and set aside until needed. Crumble butter crackers into a small bowl then melt two tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Add the melted butter to the cracker crumbles and stir to combine.
Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C)
Step 2: Add 2 tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Next, add the broccoli and diced onion and saute for ten minutes, stir occasionally. Add the cooked vegetables to a 13 x 9 baking dish.
Step 3: Return the skillet to the burner and add half a stick of butter to melt. Next, make a roux by adding the flour to the melted butter and combine. Saute the flour mixture three minutes. Next, add the milk to the flour mixture to make a Béchamel sauce.
Stir to incorporate everything together and simmer until the mixture thickens. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Once thickened, add the grated cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and the cheese sauce is smooth and creamy.
How Long Do You Bake Broccoli Cheese Casserole?
Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables in the casserole dish then stir to combine everything together. Top the casserole with the crumbled cracker mixture then bake 25-30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Fresh Broccoli Cheese Casserole Bake
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Bake
- 2 lbs Fresh Broccoli (washed and chopped)
- 1 Stick of Butter, divided
- 1 tbs Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1/3 c All Purpose Flour
- 3 c Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 Sleeve of Butter Crackers (like Ritz)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add two tablespoons of butter and the vegetable oil to the skillet, then add the broccoli and onion. Saute for ten minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to a rectangle baking dish.
- Return the skillet to the burner to make the cheese sauce.
- Make a roux by adding ½ a stick of butter to the skillet then mix in the flour. Cook the flour mixture for about 3 minutes.
- Next, add the milk to the flour mixture and combine.
- Stir constantly and simmer until the mixture thickens to make a white sauce.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add the grated cheese and stir to combine. Simmer until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables in the baking dish.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in the microwave.
- Crumble butter crackers in a small bowl then pour the melted butter over the crackers and stir to combine.
- Top the casserole with the buttery cracker crumbs.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g