In this post I am sharing a homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe. It’s the best blue cheese dressing recipe you’ll ever put in your mouth!
Y’all, this is a real simple recipe. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make a blue cheese dressing that will rival the fancy steakhouse that you love.
I’ve been making my own salad dressings like Homemade Buttermilk Ranch, blue cheese and vinaigrette for years.
I can always see that glimmer in hub’s eyes when I make a homemade sauce. I’ll say, “I’ve done it again” and he’ll smile.
That smile means that I’ll never be able to buy the bottled stuff ever again. HaHa! That’s okay though because I love to make good food that people love to eat.
Simple Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
I prefer making the blue cheese dressing chunky and somewhat on the thick side. If you’d prefer that your dressing be thinner, you can add a little more buttermilk to get the consistency that you like.
This tangy blue cheese dressing is so flavorful and great for dipping those chicken wings or to top a classic wedge salad.
Best Homemade Dressing
The best homemade salad dressings start with the best ingredients. Your family will love a dressing made using your favorite mayonnaise for instance.
For those of you are fans of Miracle Whip, please do not use it in this recipe. You’ll need to use real mayonnaise. For us, that happens to be Dukes.
To make this classic dressing you only need a few ingredients and you probably already have most of them.
You’ll need a little softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, a splash of red wine vinegar, buttermilk, blue cheese crumbles, salt and pepper.
I used a little white pepper since the dressing is white in color but you can certainly use black pepper instead.
This chunky blue cheese dressing recipe comes together in minutes for you to enjoy on a freshly made garden salad.
It’s as easy as combining your ingredients in a mixing bowl and you’ve got yourself a fine tangy dressing. Refrigerate in a covered bowl and the dressing will keep about a week.
If you enjoy a classic wedge salad just top your quarter of iceberg lettuce with the blue cheese dressing, some chopped tomatoes and crumbled bacon.
A wedge salad makes a great meal, particularly during the hot summer months when nobody wants anything real heavy to eat.
I will usually reserve a little of the blue cheese crumbles to use as garnish.
Besides salads and chicken wings, what do you like to use blue cheese dressing for?
It makes a great burger topping, drizzle it over chicken pizza, a vegetable dip or a sauce for steak bites.
Below I’ve got all the measurements you need to make your own homemade blue cheese dressing in the printable recipe card.
- 3 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 c Mayonnaise
- 1/2 c Sour Cream
- 1 tbs Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tbs Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbs Buttermilk (or more if thinner dressing consistency is desired)
- 4 oz Blue Cheese Crumbles, plus extra for garnish
- Pinch of Salt, or to taste
- Dash of White Pepper, or to taste
- Whisk together the first six ingredients until smooth then stir in the blue cheese crumbles and season with salt and white pepper.
To make a classic wedge salad, cut a head of iceberg lettuce into 4 wedges. Top with homemade blue cheese dressing, crumbled bacon and chopped tomatoes. Add additional favorite toppings, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Johnson Brothers Willow Blue Dinnerware 7 3/4-Inch Salad Plates, Set of 4
- TEEVEA (Upgraded) 3 Pack Very Sturdy Kitchen Whisk Silicone Balloon Wire Whisk Set Egg Beater Milk Frother Kitchen Utensils Gadgets for Blending Whisking Beating Stirring Red
- Made By Moos, Blue Cheese Crumbles, 6 Oz (Pack Of 6)
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
- Meal Plan Monday 235 Caprese Chicken
- Bratwurst Potatoes and Sauerkraut Skillet Meal
- Meal Plan Monday 234 Fall Green Salad
- Cheddar Garlic Drop Biscuits Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 233 Beef Brisket
You might also enjoy these Better than Hooters Buffalo Wings from Grandbaby Cakes.