In this post I am sharing how to make easy Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.
There is nothing to compare to making your own salad dressings. The rich and delicious flavors are superior to anything you’ll find bottled at a store.
Ranch dressing happens to be one of our favorites. The tangy buttermilk and fresh herbs and seasonings are wonderful on top of a fresh dinner salad.
Easy Homemade Ranch Dressing
This simple recipe can easily become the base for variations as well, such as a spicy peppercorn ranch or Parmesan ranch. With the addition of sour cream turn it into a dip.
I recommend making ranch dressing and allowing a few days for the flavors to mingle. This dressing is always better a day after it is first made.
Homemade Ranch Dressing from Scratch
Here’s what you’ll need to make the ranch dressing: Mayonnaise, Buttermilk, Dill, Parsley, Thyme, Chives, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt and Cracked Black Pepper.
Find a Full Printable Recipe Card Below in this Post.
Preparing the dressing is as easy as chopping up some herbs then combining all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
It is as easy as that to have your own homemade dressing. You can even buy ranch seasoning packets to make a semi-homemade dressing for an even easier version. The semi-homemade dressing is still more delicious than store bought.
What do I do with leftover herbs? If the commitment of fresh herbs is a concern for you, remember that fresh herbs are great for cooking. Herbs can also be easily dried on paper towels then bottled up to use later.
When I have fresh herbs that I feel I can’t use up in time, I just lay them out on paper towels for a few days until they’re thoroughly dried then crush them up and store with my other seasonings.
There are faster methods for drying herbs using the oven but the easiest for me is to just let them air dry for several days.
Classic Ranch Dressing
Let’s Make this Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 1 c Mayonnaise (I used Duke's)
- 1/2 c Buttermilk
- 1 tbs Fresh Dill, chopped
- 1 tbs Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh Chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for several hours to develop flavor (overnight recommended)
Add extra fresh cracked pepper or crushed peppercorns to make a peppercorn ranch.
Add fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano to make a Parmesan ranch.
Add 1/2 c sour cream to make a ranch dip for gatherings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Set of 3 Stainless Steel Whisk 8"+10"+12", Kitchen Balloon Hand Stainless Whisk Set for Blending Whisking Beating Stirring by Ouddy
- 7-pack Plastic Squeeze Condiment Bottles - 16 Ounce with Red Tip Cap - Perfect For Ketchup, BBQ, Sauces, Syrup, Condiments, Dressings, Arts and Crafts - BPA-Free - Made in USA
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g