In this post I am sharing the recipe for a Bratwurst Potatoes and Sauerkraut Skillet Meal. It is the perfect easy meal for Oktoberfest.
As the main cook in our family, I love a delicious easy recipe. If it can be prepared in one skillet…..that’s even better! That is exactly what you get with this sausage and potato dinner combined with tangy sauerkraut.
Serve it up with some spicy brown mustard and a cold pint of your favorite beer (adults only of course).
This happens to be a great recipe if there are just one or two of you, like at our house. We will grill a couple of bratwurst and that is all we can eat so we have a few leftover.
The bratwurst skillet meal is a great way to use up those extra brats later in the week. Who doesn’t love some pan fried potatoes? Bring on the carb fest!
Bratwurst Potatoes and Sauerkraut Skillet Meal
I wait until I make this skillet recipe to chop of the brats and cook them along with my potatoes. You could opt to grill them and re-heat them with this meal if you preferred.
This recipe is perfect for busy families too! You’ll have a filling dinner on the table in about half an hour.
Easy Bratwurst Sausage Recipe
The potatoes and brats get nice crispy edges from cooking in a cast iron skillet. The sauerkraut can be added near the end of cooking since it only needs to be heated through.
I can’t think of a more perfect combination that brats and kraut. It’s such a delicious burst of flavors that compliment each other so well.
Russet potatoes are my favorite potatoes to keep on hand but you can use whatever potato variety that you prefer. The potatoes just need to be peeled, washed and cut up into bite sized cubes.
It is best to try to keep the potato pieces relatively the same size so that they all cook in about the same time.
The final addition to this skillet meal is the tangy sauerkraut. It is great heated up with the bratwurst and potato mixture. It adds that nice tang that you love with kraut.
Sauerkraut happens to be a fermented food which are very good for you.
How to Make Sauerkraut, Bratwurst & Potato Skillet Meal
- 1/4 c Cooking Oil ( I used Peanut Oil )
- 3-5 Bratwurst Sausages, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 3 Russet Potatoes (medium to large), peeled and diced
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Chopped Rosemary (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 32 oz. Sauerkraut, drained
- Stone Ground Mustard, for serving, if desired
- Add the cooking oil to a large cast iron skillet and heat over medium.
- Next - add the potatoes, bratwurst pieces diced onion and all of the herbs and seasonings with the exception of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and bratwurst are cooked through (about 25 minutes). Add the drained sauerkraut and cook until heated through (about 5 minutes more). Taste for seasonings and add salt if needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 711Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 703mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 10gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g
You might also like this recipe for Smoked Sausage, Chicken and Potato Kabobs from Miss in the Kitchen.
- Meal Plan Monday 263
- Easy Restaurant Style Refried Beans
- Meal Plan Monday 262
- Easy Mayonnaise Biscuits Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 261
- Meal Plan Monday 260
Check out this recipe and others that I’ve shared at Weekend Potluck.
Thanks for stopping by! If you try this recipe, stop by and let me know. I love hearing from you. While you’re here be sure to follow us on our social media channels and sign up for our free weekly newsletter so that you never miss a thing.