I don’t know why these are called apple dumplings. They should be called your very own little apple pie! I kept seeing versions of this online and thought to myself “I need these, I really do”.
So with a visual and the idea that it’s a baked apple in a pastry, I decided to see what I could come up with. It had to be simple of course. After all, I’m trying to deliver simple and easy to follow recipes. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with this one.
As far as I can tell apple dumplings originated in Pennsylvania. A typical breakfast food. Well if you dress it up a little and serve it with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream it’s a dessert. A pretty dessert that I would gladly serve to guests in my home. If you really wanted to dress it up, you could even drizzle a little caramel sauce over it. Just saying.
Let me tell you how easy it is to make so you can have some right away.
Apple Dumplings with Pie Crust
- 2 Apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly. Small to medium size work best. I used Honey Crisp apples.
- 1 package Refrigerated Pie Crust that contains two crusts. If you have more apples you want to use add another package of pie crust. One pie crust for each apple.
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Butter, cut in half
- Egg, beaten
Autumn Apple Dessert
Baked Apple Dessert
Serve your apple dumpling dessert with a scoop of delicious vanilla bean ice cream!
- 2 Apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly. Small to medium size work best.
- 1 package Refrigerated Pie Crust, contains two crusts. If you have more apples you want to use add another package of pie crust. One pie crust for each apple.
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. Butter, cut in half
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp. Water
- In a small bowl, add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix together.
- Next, peel, core, and thinly slice your apples. I used my spiralizer attachment with my Kitchen Aid mixer, so this step took 2 minutes.
Next, coat apple pieces in cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg mixture.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Next, unroll 1 pie crust at a time. cut off round edges to make a square. Stack apple slices in center of pie shell. Next, add a half tablespoon of butter into the center of the apples and fold up your pie shell around the apple. Pinch together edges on top to secure.
Place apple dumplings into a small baking dish.
- In a small bowl, beat one egg and add 1 tablespoon of water and mix together. With a pastry brush, brush all the surface areas of the apple dumplings. Bake for 1 hour.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream if desired.
I added some decorative leaves to the top. They are very easy to do.
To add optional leaves: I used a leaf shape cookie cutter to cut the leaves out of the edge pieces of pie crust I cut away. With a knife score a line down the center and a few on each side, like a leaf.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 75gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 43gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 195gFiber: 20gSugar: 57gProtein: 19g
You Might Also Enjoy
Check out Julia’ s Apple Pie Bread Pudding at Due South Magazine.