In this post I’ll be sharing a recipe for Old Fashioned Creamed Squash.
I saw a post on my friend Mary Foreman’s Blog Facebook Post for this Creamed Squash. It looked so delicious and I’ve never had squash like this and decided I just had to have it!
I made it for dinner and it was as delicious as it looked. I love Mary’s recipes and have a copy of her cookbook in my collection.
Yellow squash has been one of my favorite vegetables as long as I can remember. The summer squash is delicious prepared many ways.
Yellow Summer Squash
If you’ve ever planted squash or zucchini in your warm weather garden then you know that you’ll get a bountiful harvest. Unless the squash bug gets to the plant first. Let’s not talk about that!
These squash plants are wonderful and will give you more vegetable fruits than you might be able to eat. Sharing is always a great option.
This past summer I had wonderful results with both of my zucchini plants and my one yellow squash plant producing very well.
Old Fashioned Creamed Squash
- 2 tablespoons of bacon fat or oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter, divided
- 1 whole medium Vidalia onion, halved and sliced
- 5 to 6 medium sized yellow or crookneck squash
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of half and half or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
- Melt the fat and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a lidded pot or deep skillet.
- Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes until softened, but not browned. Meanwhile slice the squash into thin rounds. Add to the onion, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat, cover and cook over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender, stirring several times.
- Mash the squash thoroughly and add the other tablespoon of butter. Mix together the half and half or milk with the flour and stir until well blended. Add the milk mixture to the squash, stir in well, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, or until nicely thickened.
- Taste, adjust salt and pepper and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
In case you’ve never had the pleasure of finding Mary’s blog, please give her a visit. Mary shares her years of cooking experience with all of the down home classic recipes we know and love. She’s a talented lady!
More Squash Recipes You Might Enjoy
Thanks for stopping by! I know that you’ll enjoy this delicious creamed squash recipe as much as I did.
While you’re here, be sure to sign up for my weekly email newsletter so that you never miss a thing. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.