In this post I’m sharing how to make Baked Parmesan Squash and Zucchini.
The squash that I used in this recipe was freshly picked from the garden and gifted to us. We have been fortunate to take a much needed break over the past week. Some of that time we spent with family.
Husband’s sister, father, and step mother were all visiting and we got to spend a few days with them. His dad brought us our first ever chickens for our new coop. I’m beyond excited about our backyard chickens and all of the fresh eggs we’ll be getting.
They also were so kind to bring us some of the first vegetables they’ve harvested from their garden. I love using the freshest ingredients of the season whenever possible. You can’t beat fresh off the vine veggies!
Baked Squash and Zucchini with Cheese
You’re gonna love how easy it is to make this healthy baked squash recipe. There are just a few ingredients so that the squash are seasoned perfectly with just a slight kick too. You’ll be making this time and time again.
Is squash a healthy vegetable? Summer squash is considered a nutritional power house veggie, so they’re very good for you. Squash are loaded with vitamins and minerals.
What is a squash? Squash is a term that includes many varieties of either winter or summer plants. Winter squash include spaghetti, acorn and pumpkin. Summer squash include the yellow or zucchini varieties.
Parmesan Squash and Zucchini
Is zucchini or yellow squash better? Both of these squash are mild and similar in regards to flavor. They vary a little nutritionally but both are very healthy options.
What will I need to make baked Parmesan squash? Squash (zucchini and yellow), freshly grated Parmesan (seriously, skip the green can and grate your own fresh), panko style bread crumbs, olive oil, and a few seasonings are all it takes to make this delicious vegetable side dish.
Oven Roasted Squash
This may be one of the easiest side dishes you can make and one the entire family will love. I found them so delicious and hard to resist…I’m pretty certain that I had more than my fair share (I ate like a pig and I’m glad no cameras were watching).
It takes just a few minutes to prepare this yummy recipe, so give it a try….I’d love to know what you think.
Yellow Squash and Zucchini Recipe
- 2 Zucchini Squash, sliced into rounds
- 2 Yellow Squash, sliced into rounds
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1/2 c Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 c Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
- Pinch of Paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Slice the squash and zucchini into ¼ inch rounds then add to a mixing bowl.
- Next, add the olive oil and seasonings to the mixing bowl and toss with a spatula to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bread crumbs and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Dredge each squash round then top with a little extra of the Parmesan mixture and place on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle a pinch of paprika over the squash rounds before baking, if desired.
- Cook in batches if needed. Baked the Parmesan squash rounds for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread crumbs are golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
Lodhi's Set of 5 Metal Spatula Stainless Steel with Plastic Handle – Multipurpose BBQ Spatula Set For BBQ Grill Griddle – Pancake Flipper, Griddle Scraper, Dough Scraper, Griddle Spatula, Perforated
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 200mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 6g