I love yellow squash, also referred to as summer squash or crookneck squash. This simple casserole recipe is easy to put together making it a perfect side to a meal any day of the week.
Squash Casserole Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to prepare this squash casserole:
- Yellow Squash, medium to large size sliced
- Vidalia Onion, sliced
- Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Sleeve Butter Crackers, such as Ritz crumbled
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
Granny's simple squash casserole is a delicious side dish
- 6 Yellow Squash, medium to large size sliced
- 1 Vidalia Onion, sliced
- 1 to 1 1/2 c Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 Sleeve Butter Crackers, such as Ritz crumbled
- 1 Eggs
- 1 c Milk
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tsp of olive oil. Add squash and onion and sauté until they begin to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Use 1 tsp of butter to grease a casserole dish.
- Next, layer half of the squash and onion into the casserole dish. Next, add a layer of cheese and then the rest of the squash and onion. Top with a final layer of cheese.
- Next, mix one egg with milk and pour into the casserole.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of butter and add to the cracker crumbs and mix together. Top the casserole with the cracker crumbs.
- Loosely cover with foil and put into your preheated oven.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes, remove foil halfway through cooking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 10g
You Might Also Like
Southern Style Air Fried Squash Recipe
Thank you for stopping by! I’m so happy that you spent a few minutes with me and allowed me to share this tasty casserole with you. I will never forget my wonderful memories or being in the kitchen with Granny as a young child helping make this side dish.
What’s New? See the Latest Recipes
- Best Easter Casseroles
- Glazed Carrots with Pineapple Recipe
- Easy Air Fryer Hot Dogs Recipe
- Easy Corn Dip Appetizer Recipe
- Easy Asparagus Casserole Recipe
You might also enjoy this Zucchini Nut Bread Recipe from Deep South Dish.
Author of Julia's Simply Southern
Hey Y'all! I'm Julia, the cook and writer behind the recipes here at Julia's Simply Southern. I began my website so that I could share easy to follow recipes that anyone can use to put a home cooked meal on the dinner table. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Follow me on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | YouTube
Sunday 4th of December 2022
Hi,if I wanted to make this casserole for just two people with just two squash should I cut the ingredients in half or I can still use the same measurements.
Tuesday 6th of December 2022
Hi Sonja, I would probably cut back on the amount of cheese, onion and crackers then keep everything else about the same.
Wednesday 5th of May 2021
One egg or two? There is a discrepancy between the list of ingredients and your instructions.
Thursday 6th of May 2021
Joy, It should be just one egg. Thank you for pointing that out. :)