In this post I am sharing how to make easy Southern Style Spicy Mexican Cornbread.
It is highly likely that you may have had Mexican cornbread, or at least seen it before. If you haven’t…well honey you need to get your cast iron skillet out and heat up the oven cause we’re gonna make some.
Mexican cornbread is the perfect way to spice things up with a side of bread at dinner. Of course, I’d be happy with a slice as my dinner. It’s so delicious!
If you’re looking for more than just a bread recipe…use this batter as the base to create a casserole style meal with the addition of seasoned ground beef.
Does Mexican cornbread need to be refrigerated? Mexican cornbread will stay fresher longer if stored in the refrigerator.
Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
Mexican cornbread is a tad spicy but you can control the level of spiciness to suit your own tastes. I’m a bit of a wimp so I do remove the ribs and seeds from the fresh jalapeno peppers and opt for the mild green chilies.
I do enjoy spicy foods and this has more than enough heat for me. I add colorful sweet chili peppers that have no heat at all for additional interest….cause they look pretty in the cornbread.
While completely optional…I also top the cornbread with a few pickled jalapeno slices, just for visual interest and it looks really good once baked.
Cornbread with Cheese and Peppers
The only thing left for us to do is bake this delicious Mexican cornbread so we can enjoy a wedge with a pat of softened butter.
Southern Style Spicy Mexican Cornbread
- 2 c Plain Cornmeal
- 1/2 c All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 4 oz Mild Chopped Green Chilies
- 1 c Mexican Cheese Blend
- 2 TBS Vegetable Oil
- 14.75 oz Cream Style Corn
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 c Sour Cream
- 2 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 Jalapeno, diced with seeds removed (optional)
- 1 Sweet Red Chili Pepper, diced (optional)
- Pickled Jalapeno Slices, for topping (optional)
- 2 Tbs Butter, to grease the skillet
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C)
- Place a 12" cast iron skillet or preferred baking dish into the oven while it preheats.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and seasonings.
- Next, add the canned chilies, creamed style corn, vegetable oil, sour cream and eggs then mix to combine with the cornmeal mixture.
- Lastly, stir in the diced peppers.
- Carefully remove the skillet (or baking dish) from the oven.
- Add the butter and allow it to melt in the bottom then add the Mexican cornbread batter.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes until browned and set.
Adjust cooking times as needed due to variations by oven type.
Bake cornbread until thoroughly set. Under cooked cornbread will stick to the baking dish.
Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 144gSaturated Fat: 62gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 66gCholesterol: 364mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 344gFiber: 29gSugar: 34gProtein: 82g
Thank you for stopping by! Be sure to share this recipe with your friends and on social media.