In this post I’m sharing an old favorite side dish recipe for Classic Southern Broccoli Casserole.
I’m not quite sure where this recipe originated, perhaps the soup company, maybe someone’s sweet little grandmother, but it has stood the test of time.
I think that Paula Deen rejuvenated the interest in this easy classic recipe.
Speaking of winter months…I woke up to sunny skies this morning after a few dreary days of rain and am grateful for the sunshine. This got me to thinking that we’re about ten days or so away from the winter solstice.
After the winter solstice the days slowly begin to get longer again. That brings on exciting anticipation of longer days to come.
For now I’ll just wait patiently while the trees get a restful slumber so that they can display their beautiful green canopies some spring.
Quick and Easy Broccoli Casserole
I’m just going to go ahead and throw this out there…yes there is canned condensed cream of mushroom soup in this recipe.
If the condensed soups aren’t for you then maybe you’d prefer my Easy Cheesy Broccoli Bake.
Since I don’t use canned soups all that often, I have no problem with them on occasion and there’s no denying they are great in casserole recipes.
Broccoli Casserole Recipe
Just look at that delicious bite of broccoli casserole on that fork. It is creamy, cheesy, ritzy and taste amazing!
The ingredients you’ll need to prepare this dish are simple. You’ll need some frozen broccoli florets, an onion, butter, cheese, seasonings, cream of mushroom, a little mayonnaise and some crackers.
You’ll find all the details in the printable recipe card below and be sure to check out the video in this post if you’d like to see some of the photos of the steps in preparing it.
- 14 oz. Frozen Broccoli Florets
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 4 tbs Butter
- 4 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated (about 1 heaping cup)
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 10.5 oz. Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 c Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Sleeve Crushed Ritz Crackers
Buttery Cracker Topping
- 1/2 Sleeve Crushed Ritz Crackers (or one short stack)
- 1 tbs Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C)
- Steam the frozen broccoli for 10 minutes until tender; drain.
- While the broccoli steams, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet.
- Saute the diced onion until tender then add the steamed broccoli.
- Season with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Next, add the cream of mushroom soup (do not dilute) and mayonnaise and stir to combine.
- Add the grated cheddar cheese and crushed crackers then stir to combine; add the filling mixture to a square baking dish.
- Combine the remaining crushed crackers with the melted butter and mix to coat the crumbs. Add the buttery cracker as a topping to the casserole filling.
- Bake 25 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Fresh broccoli can be used in this casserole but will need to steam a few minutes longer until tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 949mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
- Meal Plan Monday 210
- Carolina Slaw Dog Recipe
- Easy Homemade Bread Meal Plan Monday 209
- Spicy Ranch Packet Chicken Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 208
Thank you for stopping! Be sure to check out our other recipes while you’re here and share them with a friend.