In this post I’m sharing how to make classic Southern Jezebel Sauce and Cream Cheese Appetizer. This is such an easy and delicious appetizer recipe. I’ll also share a few other delicious ways to use one of the South’s favorite condiments.
Southern Jezebel Sauce and Cream Cheese Appetizer is a classic combination and is so easy to make. It is always a hit with guests, making it perfect for holiday gatherings.
Jezebel Sauce History
Many Southern states claim to have been the originators of Jezebel sauce, no surprise there, but no one really knows where it comes from…or how it got its name.
If you’ve read the Bible, you’re familiar with Jezebel, a saucy woman with a most scandalous reputation. Perhaps that is the inspiration for naming this sweet, spicy and tart condiment we love so much.
Seriously, we love the stuff in the South. Keeping a jar on hand in the refrigerator is not uncommon. It comes in handy for many uses.
If you’re not familiar with Jezebel sauce, you’re gonna want to make a batch right away and try it! Trust me on this. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how well the combination of ingredients work on your palate.
Sauces to Pour over Cream Cheese
It is hard to think about the holidays are just weeks away now. We’re nearly halfway through October and it’s yet to feel like fall since summer hasn’t wanted to let go of its grip this year.
The weather forecasts says that fall temperatures are coming in a few days though and I can’t wait!
You’ll want to keep this recipe handy for those holiday dinners and gatherings. It’s a keeper!
Southern Appetizer Recipes
Now, let’s talk about a few ways you can use Jezebel Sauce besides this delicious appetizer.
- Serve with ham, cheese slices and crackers as a spread
- A condiment choice for your charcuterie board
- To glaze meats (it’s great with pork)
- As a condiment with ham, pork, beef or chicken
- Put it in cute jars and give as food gifts for the holidays (I love giving food gifts)
- Have it on a biscuit with a slice of country ham
Southern Jezebel Sauce and Cream Cheese Appetizer
Let’s make a batch! You’re not gonna believe how super easy it is. You’ll find the full printable recipe near the bottom of this post. You’ll need: Pineapple Preserves, Apple Jelly, Extra Hot Prepared Horseradish (make sure to get extra hot, it works so well), and Dry Mustard Powder. If serving as an appetizer you’ll also need cream cheese and crackers.
Classic Jezebel Dipping Sauce
Southern Jezebel Sauce & Cream Cheese Appetizer
- 12 oz Pineapple Preserves
- 12 oz Apple Jelly
- 4 oz Extra Hot Prepared Horseradish
- 1/4 c Dry Mustard Powder
- A couple of turns of Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Mix well using a hand mixer.
- Place the Jezebel Sauce into a plastic storage container and refrigerate overnight.
- The sauce can also be placed into glass jars and refrigerated for gifts.
- Jezebel Sauce lasts up to 6 weeks when refrigerated.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 1g
See the Latest Recipes on the Blog
- Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe with Raisins and Coconut
- Canned Turkey Stuffing Casserole Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe
- Sautéed Fresh Green Beans Recipe with Garlic and Bacon
- Easy Crock Pot Cornbread Dressing Recipe
- Turkey Bacon Breakfast Sandwich with Egg White and Cheese
- Easy Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe