In this post I am sharing how to make savory Baked Hasselback Sweet Potatoes.
Preparing potatoes in the style we know as Hasselback is quite popular these days.
There is no reason not to enjoy fall sweet potatoes prepared in this same style. The presentation is so pretty just to switch things up for your potato side dish.
Why is it called Hasselback potatoes? The Hasselback potato side dish was first served in the a Swedish restaurant called Hasselbacken back in 1953, hence the name we know them by today.
I’m always happy to see sweet potatoes making their way back on to market shelves this time of year. There are so many wonderful ways to enjoy them, whether you like them sweet or savory.
A few of my favorite sweet potato recipes are: Southern Sweet Potato Bread, Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie, and Sweet Potato Casserole…as well as these baked Hasselback sweet potatoes that I’m sharing with y’all now.
Savory Baked Sweet Potatoes
Cooking sweet potatoes Hasselback style makes the outside nice and crispy and leaves the inside tender.
To be honest…the only reason I make potatoes like this occasionally is just because they look pretty and it’s a bit of a special effort.
Oven Roasted Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Serve your Hasselback sweet potatoes as a side to your favorite meals. For this dinner I served them with roasted chicken and steamed vegetables.
You could even grab one of those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store as a time saver if you wanted.
Are sweet potatoes good for you? Sweet potatoes are very nutritious and provide fiber, vitamins and essential nutrients.
Healthy Sweet Potato Side Dish
Do you have to peel sweet potatoes? No. It really depends on the recipe and how you’re using them. For baked sweet potatoes, there is no need to peel them. The skin is also highly nutritious.
Below I am sharing the step by step method to prepare these baked Hasselback sweet potatoes in the printable recipe card.
- 2-4 Sweet Potatoes (depending on number needed to serve one per person)
- 2 tbs Melted Butter
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- Sour Cream, optional for serving
- Fresh Parsley, for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Wash the sweet potatoes making sure to remove any dirt from the outer skin.
- Use a knife to make even slices, ⅛" - ¼", across the potato making sure not to slice all of the way through to the bottom. If needed, use skewers or something similar on either side of the potato as a guide so you don't slice all of the way down.
- Place the prepared potatoes on a lined baking sheet and brush with melted butter then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the center is tender as desired.
- Garnish, if desired, and serve with softened butter, sour cream or other potato toppings you might like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 8gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g
- Meal Plan Monday 210
- Carolina Slaw Dog Recipe
- Easy Homemade Bread Meal Plan Monday 209
- Spicy Ranch Packet Chicken Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 208
Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you’ll sing up for our email newsletter so that you never miss a new recipe post.