Learn to make one of the South’s favorite holiday desserts, Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie.
I remember one Thanksgiving in particular where the family had gathered at my granny’s house. For some reason granny was a bit frantic and hurrying to get her sweet potato pie in the oven.
I was too young to know exactly what was going on. I just remember that pie for some reason. To a child, it seemed that everyone there was perfectly happy and enjoying visiting with each other.
Melt in Your Mouth Sweet Potato Pie
I keep plenty of cooked sweet potato pulp frozen so I have it handy when I want to bake a loaf of Sweet Potato Bread or one of these pies.
What are the Ingredients for a Sweet Potato Pie?
Here’s what you’ll need to bake a delicious pie for your holiday meals (Full printable recipe near the end of this post): Sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, evaporated milk and a frozen pie crust.
I use store bought pie crust and have no shame in doing so. They’re delicious and a big time saver when you’re super busy preparing a big meal.
How Do You Make Southern Sweet Potato Pie?
Let’s go step by step to creating a delicious sweet potato pie.
Preheat your oven to 350°F
Step 1: Add your cooked sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl. Whip the potatoes with a hand mixer until smooth. This helps create a smoother finished pie. Next, add the sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, salt and spices to the potatoes and mix well until combined. Next, add the evaporated milk and mix until everything is combined.
Easy so far, right? There’s really not much to it and you’ve already done what we’ll refer to as “the hard part”, even though there was nothing difficult about it.
Step 2: Line a sheet pan with foil and place your pie crust on the covered pan. Using a sheet pan prevents messes in the oven in case of spills but also makes transferring the pie in and out of the oven easier. Add the pie mixture into the pie crust and place into your pre-heated oven. Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is set. You can use the tooth pick test if needed to test for doneness.
Allow the pie to cool completely before cutting to serve. Top with whipped cream if desired.
Printable Recipe Card
- 2 c Cooked Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1.25 c Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 c Butter, melted
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 c Evaporated Milk
- 9" Frozen Pie Shell
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a mixing bowl combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Mix together with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Next, add the evaporated milk and mix to combine.
- Add the pie filling mixture to the pie crust and place into the oven.
- Bake 45 minutes or until done. Center of the pie should be set when done.
- Allow to cool before serving. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
Allow the pie to cool completely before serving. Sweet potato pie can be made a few days in advance of a holiday meal and refrigerated until needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304
Old Fashioned Southern Sweet Potato Pie
You might also like this recipe for Sweet Potato Waffles from Syrup and Biscuits.
Check out the Latest Recipes
- Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe with Raisins and Coconut
- Canned Turkey Stuffing Casserole Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe
- Sautéed Fresh Green Beans Recipe with Garlic and Bacon
- Easy Crock Pot Cornbread Dressing Recipe
- Turkey Bacon Breakfast Sandwich with Egg White and Cheese
- Easy Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe