In this post I’m sharing an easy recipe for Crockpot Hearty Chicken Soup.
It takes less than ten minutes to prep the ingredients to go into your slow cooker and you’ll be rewarded with a comforting meal after a long day.
I must confess that getting supper started in the morning is a bit of a struggle for me so you could even prep your ingredients the night before so it is ready to go the next morning.
What can I serve with chicken noodle soup? Soup with pasta is a hearty meal but you can also add crackers, have a side of bread, or your favorite sandwich alongside a bowl of soup.
Grandma’s Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
“What a marvelous resource soup is for the thrifty cook” ~ Julia Child
Can you put raw chicken in the slow cooker? Yes, if it is fresh and thawed. I turn the slow cooker on high while prepping to warm up before adding the raw chicken and other ingredients. It is not recommended to put frozen chicken into a slow cooker, although many people do.
Should noodles be cooked before adding them to slow cooker soup? It takes about ten minutes to cook the noodles before adding them to this slow cooker soup for better texture. Noodles left unattended in the slow cooker can overcook and break down.
How long does it take to slow cook soup? It will take six to eight hours on the low setting or three to four hours on the high setting to cook chicken soup in the crockpot.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Soup
“Soup is a lot like a family. Each ingredient enhances the others; each batch has its own characteristics; and it needs time to simmer to reach full flavor.” ~ Marge Kennedy
What is the best chicken for soup? My answer would be first, whatever you have on hand. I used breast meat in this recipe because I already had it. If you’re picking up ingredients then consider boneless skinless thighs. Dark meat chicken can enhance flavor and holds up well to cooking for longer periods of time.
Crockpot Vegetable Noodle Soup
Be sure to check out the video for photos preparing the soup in the slow cooker.
Below you’ll find the printable step by step recipe card to make this soup.
- 14.5 oz Canned Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes, without the juices
- 1 lb Chicken, diced
- 1 c Sliced Carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 1/2 c Sliced Celery (2 stalks)
- 1/2 c Sliced Mushrooms
- 32 oz Chicken Broth or Stock
- 1 c Water
- 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp Dried Thyme, crushed
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 c Cooked Medium Noodles
- Turn your slow cooker on the high setting and cover with the lid to heat up while you prep the ingredients.
- In the crockery - combine the diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms and diced chicken.
- Next, add the chicken broth or stock and water.
- Next, add the herbs, season with salt and pepper, and add the Better Than Bouillon Base.
- Stir to combine the ingredients then cover and reduce the heat setting to low.
- Cook 6 - 8 hours.
- A half hour before serving, add the cooked noodles then cover and turn the heat setting to high to warm through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KOVOT Set of 4 Speckled Ceramic Soup Bowls With Spoons - 22-Ounces Each
Zulay Premium 12 Inch Stainless Steel Ladle with Attractive Mirror Finish - Soup Ladle with Long Handle and Ample Bowl Capacity Perfect for Stirring, Serving Soups and More - Heavy-Duty Metal Ladle
Crock-Pot SCV800-B, 8-Quart Oval Manual Slow Cooker, Black
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 1125mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 27g
You might also like this Old Fashioned Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe.
Hearty Chicken Soup
- Macaroni and Tomatoes Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 227 Vegetable Lasagna
- Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- Southern Speckled Butter Beans Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 226 | Julia’s Simply Southern
Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you get to enjoy this delicious soup soon. It’s a great easy recipe and you can customize to suit your tastes as well.