In honor of January being Soup Month and this arctic blast that has come our way I am making a big pot of vegetable beef soup. It is one of my favorite winter meals and it lasts a couple of days so I don’t have to cook tomorrow.
I start by chopping up my fresh vegetables and adding to a large pot with a drizzle of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter.
See it at The Weekend Potluck
Easy Vegetable Beef Soup
Julia's Vegetable Beef SoupPrint Recipe
- Drizzle of Olive Oil, about a teaspoon
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 1 cup of Chopped Celery
- 1 cup of Chopped Carrots
- 1 large Onion
- 1 Russet Potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup of chopped cabbage
- 1 Bell Pepper, the color of your choice
- 4 cups of Beef Stock
- 3 cups of water, use more if needed
- 1/3 cup of Orzo Pasta
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme, if you have fresh use it
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Tbs Died Parsley, if you have fresh use it
- 1 large Can of Diced Tomatoes plus the juice
- 1 Can of Corn, drained
- 1 Can of Green Beans, drained
- 1 Can of Black Eyed Peas, drained
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Beef Bullion Cube (optional, for extra beefy richness)
Begin by adding the olive oil and butter to a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat.
When the butter melts, add the fresh vegetables, herbs and seasonings. Saute the vegetables 5-6 minutes.
Next, add the beef and saute 2-3 minutes until it begins to brown.
Next, add the stock, bullion and water and stir to combine.
Next, add the pasta and bring the soup to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Next, add the canned vegetables and stir to combine. Cover with a lid and allow the soup to simmer for 1 hour.