I must admit that I do enjoy the extra texture and visual appeal that they add to various dishes.
This basic recipe uses just a few simple ingredients and makes a great lunch when you don’t need to make a big batch of egg salad for a crowd.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this classic deviled egg salad recipe:
Hard Boiled Eggs
Mayonnaise ( I use Duke’s of course)
Teaspoon Dill Pickle Cubes
Salt & Pepper to taste
Mash the eggs with the tines of a fork (or chop them up).
After you have your eggs mashed up, add the mayonnaise, salt, pepper and pickle cubes. Mix to combine everything together. Adjust the amount of mayonnaise if needed to ensure that you have a creamy egg salad spread.
It’s that easy! A simple egg salad sandwich. One egg just doesn’t seem enough for a sandwich and two is slightly too much. This will make one hearty sandwich or two sandwiches. One for you and one to share.
If you don’t have dill cubes on hand, use 1/4 tsp dried dill in the recipe.
The egg salad sandwich was formerly invented in 1762. Egg salad can be made creatively with any number of other cold foods added – bacon, bell pepper, capers, cheese, cucumber, onions, lettuce are common – according to Wikipedia.
I however prefer the simple recipe that I grew up with the best.
Egg Salad with Dill Relish
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1 Heaping Tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon Dill Pickle Cubes
- Salt & Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- Mash the boiled eggs with a fork, add mayonnaise, salt, pepper and pickle cubes then stir to combine.
- Spread the egg salad mixture on sandwich bread or serve with crackers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 409mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
If you’re looking for a twist on traditional egg salad then try this Avocado Egg Salad recipe from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen.
- Down Home Southern Large Lima Butter Beans Recipe
- Easy Creamy Salmon Pasta Salad Recipe
- Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe with Raisins and Coconut
- Canned Turkey Stuffing Casserole Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe
- Sautéed Fresh Green Beans Recipe with Garlic and Bacon