In this post I’ll be sharing how to make the famous Kirkland Canned Chicken Salad Recipe.
Hey Y’all! If you’ve wondered “what can I make with Kirkland canned chicken?”, then this simple canned chicken salad recipe is a great option for you. Of course, feel free to use whatever canned chicken brand you happen to have on hand.
Canned chicken breast is a great pantry staple to keep on hand and can be used in so many of your favorite chicken recipes.
The last couple of years have taught us that grandma knew what she was doing and the importance of our pantry staples.
You will love this easy recipe for a chicken salad spread. Prepare a batch and enjoy for a variety of quick meals that the whole family will enjoy.
Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
My friend, take a look at that delicious spread! Which tasty option would you go for first?
You cannot go wrong with a delicious recipe for canned chicken salad. Not only is it great at home for an easy meal, but chicken salad is great for sharing at gatherings.
Chicken salad is great to serve at a baby shower, an easy lunch with friends, bridal shower, holiday parties or any gathering.
Oh, and by the way, it is also a great low carb and healthy recipe option, depending on how it is served.
What do I need to make the recipe for canned chicken salad?
Here’s what you’ll need to make this simple recipe for copycat Costco chicken salad:
- Kirkland Signature Canned Chicken – this Costco canned chicken is delicious, but use any can of chicken that you have on hand. Leftover chicken works great too if you have some. Fresh chicken can be easily roasted (or cooked in a slow cooker, pressure cooker or Instant Pot) and cut up for this recipe or use a grocery store bought fresh or leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Mayonnaise – a good quality real mayonnaise adds rich flavor and creaminess to prepared salads.
- Sour Cream – adds additional creaminess to the dressing as well as tangy flavor. A plain Greek yogurt could be used instead if preferred.
- Toasted Walnuts – add texture and crunch to the chicken salad as well as delicious flavor. Toasted pecans would also be a great option.
- Parsley – balances the flavors in this good chicken salad recipe and adds a pop of color.
- Celery – adds crunchy texture and flavor. I used a single celery stalk but you can adjust how much to suit your own taste.
- Onion or Shallot – green onions or diced red onion are delicious in a chicken salad. I had a shallot on hand, so opted for that instead this time.
- Dried Cranberries – add a delicious bit of sweetness to this classic Kirkland canned chicken salad recipe. Your taste buds will appreciate all of the great flavors in this salad.
- Salt & Pepper – a bit of salt and ground black pepper to taste.
The simple ingredients mentioned above are all that are needed to make this delicious canned chicken salad recipe. It is the basic copycat version with the Kirkland brand, of a favorite warehouse club food court favorite.
There are other options however to making a tasty chicken salad. It may not be the same for a copycat version, but I feel that I should mention them.
Optional ingredients: other seasonings (garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt or whatever you like), cream cheese, olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, pickle relish, red pepper flakes, chopped boiled eggs or anything you might prefer to add extra flavor to chicken salad.
What to serve with Chicken Salad
There are lots of chicken salad recipes out there with all of the different ways to put one together. That may leave you wondering, what to serve with the chicken salad, or how to serve it.
Enjoy the chicken salad on its own or serve a scoop on a bed of lettuce. Chicken salad is wonderful in lettuce wraps.
Chicken salad with crackers is delicious or pull out your favorite sandwich bread and enjoy an amazing sandwich. My personal favorite way to enjoy a chicken salad sandwich is served on croissants. Oh my, is that good!
Other ways to enjoy chicken salad include: stuffed into tomatoes or serve up a scoop with your favorite sides, potato chips, fries, on a romaine lettuce leaf, with a side of grape salad or fresh fruit.
Iconic Costco Chicken Salad
Does that not look absolutely amazing? I will never pass up the opportunity to indulge in a sandwich on a flaky croissant. Yum!
Best Chicken Salad Recipe
How to prepare the Kirkland canned chicken salad?
Begin by draining the canned chicken then add it (or cooked chicken if using instead) to a large bowl. Next, add the remaining ingredients and use a spatula to mix everything together.
Note: if you are using freshly cooked chicken, allow it to cool to room temperature before adding into the chicken salad mixture.
It doesn’t take a long time to put together this delicious chicken salad. Just a few short minutes.
Kirkland Canned Chicken Salad Recipe
Store your prepared chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. The chicken salad will last up to five days in the refrigerator. It is very likely that you’ll eat it all before then, because it is so good.
- 2 12.5 ounce Cans Kirkland Canned Chicken
- ⅓ cup Mayonnaise (I used Dukes)
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Toasted Walnuts
- ⅓ cup Parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup Celery, diced (1 stalk)
- ½ cup Onion or Shallot, diced
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries
- Salt, to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Drain the canned chicken well, then transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, toasted walnuts, parley, celery, onion, cranberries, salt and pepper to the bowl and mix to combine with the chicken.
- The prepared chicken salad can be served immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kirkland Signature Chicken Breast, 12.5 Ounce (6) (Pack of 6)
Met Lux 4 Ounce Portion Scoop, 1 Durable Cookie Scoop - #8, With Gray Handle, Stainless Steel Disher, For Portion Control, Scoop Cookie Dough, Cupcake Batter, or Ice Cream - Restaurantware
Amazon Basics Glass Food Storage Container with BPA-Free Locking Lid - Set of 14
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 385mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 16g
Nutritional values are calculated using an estimator tool but may vary depending on serving size or added ingredients that vary from the listed recipe.
Delicious Chicken Salad
Tips for making chicken salad
- Use a quality real mayonnaise, not salad dressing.
- Taking the time to toast the nuts add delicious flavor.
- Use fresh celery and onion for the best crunchy texture.
- Use the recipe as a guide and adjust to suit your own personal tastes in food.
- If using fresh chopped or shredded chicken, you will need 1 and a half pounds of chicken.
- Homemade Country White Gravy Recipe
- Easy Baked Cubed Beef Steaks
- Classic Southern Meatloaf Recipe
- Traditional Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- Southern Purple Hull Peas
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Creamed Chipped Beef and Toast
- Julia’s Southern Hot Dog Chili Sauce
The Latest Recipes
- Down Home Southern Large Lima Butter Beans Recipe
- Easy Creamy Salmon Pasta Salad Recipe
- Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe with Raisins and Coconut
- Canned Turkey Stuffing Casserole Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe
- Sautéed Fresh Green Beans Recipe with Garlic and Bacon
Thanks for Stopping By
Thank you for stopping by the blog and I hope that you enjoy this Kirkland canned chicken salad recipe soon.
Before you go, be sure to subscribe to my email list. Subscribers receive a weekly e-newsletter from me with the latest recipes and news here on the blog so that you never miss a thing.
Until next time, love and happy cooking!