I first made this casserole for dinner not breakfast. I knew it was going to be good. I didn’t realize everyone would be going for seconds and there would be none leftover. Yes, it’s that good.
This recipe has been a reader favorite since it was posted. Conveniently, you could also make this ahead, just heat ans serve. You could also prepare the ingredients and bake the next day. You’ll have a meal that the entire family will love.
I’ve decided to update this posts a bit, mostly with new photos. It had been a while since we had this delicious easy casserole so I made it for dinner the other night and took new photos.
Tasty Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Here’s what you’ll need to make this casserole:
Cheddar Cheese, grated
Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste
Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots and Sausage
Start by browning the sausage in a skillet. Preheat your oven while the sausage cooks.
Spray a square baking dish with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Layer the cooked sausage to the bottom of the casserole dish then add the chopped onions on top of sausage layer.
In a mixing bowl or large measuring cup, beat the eggs and heavy cream together. Season with salt and pepper the pour over the sausage and onion.
Top the egg layer with grated cheese. I held back a some of the grated cheese to sprinkle on top of the casserole near the end of cooking. That is completely optional.
Finally, top the casserole with frozen tater tots. Because I’ve gotten the question a few times over the years I just want to point out that you don’t need to cook the tater tots first.
Place the casserole into your preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees and cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
If you choose to add a bit of cheese on top during the final cooking time, do so when you adjust the temperature.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving. It will be piping hot.
More Breakfast Recipes You Might Like
The photo above is one of the original photos in this post. I hope that you like my new photos better.
Cook’s Note: Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole can made made with or without meat depending on taste preference.
- 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
- 6 Eggs, beaten
- 3/4 c Heavy Cream
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 small Onion, chopped (use half a medium onion if that's all you have)
- Tater Tots
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- Start by browning the breakfast sausage in a skillet.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Lightly spray a square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add the cooked sausage to the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Next, add the chopped onions on top of sausage layer.
- Whisk together the eggs and heavy cream then pour over the sausage layer. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Next add a layer of grated cheese.
- Finally, add a top layer of frozen tater tots.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350°F then increase oven the temperature to 375°F (190°C) and cook an additional 15-20 minutes until the eggs are set. If you're choosing to top your casserole with a small bit of cheese, do so when you increase the temperature.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 662mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
- Meal Plan Monday 228
- Macaroni and Tomatoes Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 227 Vegetable Lasagna
- Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- Southern Speckled Butter Beans Recipe