Breakfast

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

Easy breakfast casserole recipe in a teal baking dish

Please Share Y'all!

In this post I am sharing how to make a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole.

(Post updated 2-6-20)

I first made this casserole for dinner not breakfast. I knew it was going to be good. I didn’t realize everyone would be going for seconds and there would be none leftover. Yes, it’s that good.

This recipe has been a reader favorite since it was posted. Conveniently, you could also make this ahead, just heat ans serve. You could also prepare the ingredients and bake the next day. You’ll have a meal that the entire family will love.

I’ve decided to update this posts a bit, mostly with new photos. It had been a while since we had this delicious easy casserole so I made it for dinner the other night and took new photos.

Tasty Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

farm fresh rainbow eggs

Here’s what you’ll need to make this casserole:

Breakfast Sausage
 Eggs, beaten
 Heavy Cream
 Cheddar Cheese, grated
 Small Onion
Tater Tots
Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste

Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots and Sausage

Start by browning the sausage in a skillet. Preheat your oven while the sausage cooks.

Spray a square baking dish with cooking spray to prevent sticking.

Layer the cooked sausage to the bottom of the casserole dish then add the chopped onions on top of sausage layer.

Layering ingredients for casserole into a baking dish

In a mixing bowl or large measuring cup, beat the eggs and heavy cream together. Season with salt and pepper the pour over the sausage and onion.

Top the egg layer with grated cheese. I held back a some of the grated cheese to sprinkle on top of the casserole near the end of cooking. That is completely optional.

Finally, top the casserole with frozen tater tots. Because I’ve gotten the question a few times over the years I just want to point out that you don’t need to cook the tater tots first.

popular breakfast casserole

Place the casserole into your preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees and cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.

If you choose to add a bit of cheese on top during the final cooking time, do so when you adjust the temperature.

Let stand 5 minutes before serving. It will be piping hot.

More Breakfast Recipes You Might Like

Pepper Jack Egg White Bites

Little Breakfast Piggies

Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole

Serving of tater tot sausage egg breakfast casserole

The photo above is one of the original photos in this post. I hope that you like my new photos better.

Cook’s Note: Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole can made made with or without meat depending on taste preference.

You can also see this photo at Meal Plan Monday and Weekend Potluck.

Yield: 1 Casserole

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

Easy breakfast casserole recipe in a teal baking dish

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is so easy to put together and delicious. This comfort food breakfast casserole will become a family favorite!

Prep Time 15 minutes
Active Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
  • 6 Eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 c Heavy Cream
  • 8 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
  • 1 small Onion, chopped (use half a medium onion if that's all you have)
  • Tater Tots
  • Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Start by browning the breakfast sausage in a skillet.
  2. Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C).
  3. Lightly spray a square baking dish with cooking spray.
  4. Add the cooked sausage to the bottom of the casserole dish.
  5. Next, add the chopped onions on top of sausage layer.
  6. Whisk together the eggs and heavy cream then pour over the sausage layer. Season with salt and black pepper.
  7. Next add a layer of grated cheese.
  8. Finally, add a top layer of frozen tater tots.
  9. Bake for 35 minutes at 350°F then increase oven the temperature to 375°F (190°C) and cook an additional 15-20 minutes until the eggs are set. If you're choosing to top your casserole with a small bit of cheese, do so when you increase the temperature.
  10. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

6-8

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 662mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
Breakfast Casserole made with tater tots, eggs, cheese and sausage

Meet Julia

Author of Julia's Simply Southern

Please Share Y'all!

You Might Also Like

43 Comments

Lorelei Dean
    August 4, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Hi, I have never used the heavy cream. Could you use something other?

Anonymous
      August 5, 2016 at 3:11 am

Just use milk.

Julia
      August 5, 2016 at 10:56 am

Lorelei,
      Yes milk or hald & half would work also. Heavy cream just adds a richness to dishes – try it sometime in mashed potatoes or something. You'll love it πŸ™‚

Lorelei Dean
      August 7, 2016 at 4:23 am

Thank you both for your responses. Lorelei πŸ™‚

Jim Moore
      August 12, 2019 at 2:19 am

Do you cook the tater tots first?

Julia Jordan
        August 12, 2019 at 6:46 am

No…you don’t have to cook them first. Just set them on the casserole and bake with the rest of the ingredients.

Carlee
    August 5, 2016 at 11:46 am

What a fun breakfast casserole! I have never had one like it before!

Anonymous
    August 6, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Going to make this tonight for Sunday breakfast.

Julia's Simply Southern
      August 15, 2016 at 3:47 pm

I hope you enjoyed it.

Caroline
    August 14, 2016 at 12:17 am

HI There! I have two teen boys (17 & 18) who are each 6'5" already, plus a 9 year old boy and an adult daughter, my husband and myself to feed. How much of this casserole would you recommend that I make to feed this group? Thanks

Rose Plummer
      August 15, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I would double this for that size family.

Julia's Simply Southern
      August 15, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Caroline if your teen boys eat like most, I would definitely double the recipe and make it in a large casserole dish. I would pay attention to cooking time because you will likely need to adjust for the size. I would keep check after 30 minutes until the eggs are set. I know they'll enjoy it.

Caroline
      September 18, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Thank you Julia and Rose for your replies. I will try making a double recipe of this. Due to vacations and camps, not everyone has been home until last week, so I haven't tried to do a lot of cooking lately and haven't attempted to make this. Between work, college, high school, and grade school, everyone is on a different schedule weekdays, so it will be a great treat for a coming weekend breakfast. Hugs to all!

Anonymous
    August 16, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Julia,
    I just found your site and love looking at what you are doing here! I tried to subscribe to your email posts but the feedburner did not send a subscription message to my email-inbox or junk mail. It will not allow me to re-try. Do you have any suggestions on how I can follow you via email?

Julia's Simply Southern
      August 17, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Good Morning. I'm glad you found us and thank you. I am not sure why the subscribe feature doesn't function properly. I have removed it. If you look on the left hand side columns under the "Tweets" there is a 'Follow By Email' and you can enter your email address and enter. You will receive an email with a link to verify. You will receive emails for each new post. You can also follow by Google +. I hope you'll join us on our social media outlets too. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.
      Julia

Bowl Me Over Debra Clark
    August 30, 2016 at 10:48 pm

I would love a big helping of this – super yummy – you can me at tatter tots! πŸ˜€ Stopping by to do some sharing from #FoodieFriDIY

Miz Helen
    September 1, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your weekend and your new Red Plate!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

Edye Nicole
    September 1, 2016 at 7:51 pm

My family would go crazy for this! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

Blessings,
    Edye | http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

S Marie
    September 3, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Man, this looks yummy! I know my kids would be ecstatic to see this being served at dinner. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us at Merry Monday this week!

Lisa Newman
    September 3, 2016 at 6:20 pm

We're gonna try this with sweet potato tots.. ?

juliepollitt
    October 13, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I love everything about this dish!

Chrystal Meredith
    October 14, 2017 at 1:35 am

Could I cook the onion in with the sausage and just go from there? I'm kinda afraid the onion won't get done all the way if I do it by the recipe.

Julia's Simply Southern
      October 14, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Chrystal,
      If you prefer really soft onions, yes you can saute them with the sausage πŸ™‚

Unknown
    October 15, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Are the tater tots frozen or do you cook them first?

Julia
    October 15, 2017 at 8:20 pm

The tater tots are frozen. They cook while the casserole bakes πŸ™‚

lee duffy
    October 21, 2017 at 6:28 am

I am in australia…what is the equivalent of breakfast sausage…?

Julia
      October 22, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Lee,
      I can't find what the equivalent would be. From my reading, it seems that American breakfast sausage is difficult to find in Australia. You can make your own if you like. There are many recipes available – it's basically 1 lb of minced pork combined with seasonings such as sage, salt/pepper, red pepper flakes with variations of other ingredients such as crushed fennel, nutmeg, garlic. If you have a favorite minced meat and seasonings combination that would work fine to suit to your taste πŸ™‚

Anonymous
    October 21, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Can I make this the night before and cook in morning?

Julia
      October 22, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Yes you can. I typically go ahead and cook it and just re-heat the next morning. Either way will work πŸ™‚

Bridget
    January 21, 2018 at 4:11 am

I think I’d put the tater tots on the bottom and then the egg and then the sausage. πŸ™‚ That way it’s kinda like having a scotch egg casserole! This looks delicious though.

I’d leave off the cheese though, my husband dislikes cheeses in general.

audrey lisik
    August 14, 2019 at 9:12 am

What else would you serve with the egg casserole breakfast would this be enough –toast-fruit????

Julia Jordan
      August 14, 2019 at 11:26 am

It depends on how many you’re serving. The casserole itself is rather hearty but if you have a lot of folks to feed then I would serve toast/bagels, platter of bacon, and/or fruit alongside it.

audrey lisik
    August 14, 2019 at 9:39 am

Sorry, I forgot to ask what size package tater tots..or just a single layer for the 8 x 8 pan?

Deanne
    February 7, 2020 at 8:21 am

A favorite with our family, especially the kiddos! Yum!

Barbara Prosser
    February 9, 2020 at 1:58 pm

Can’t wait to try this casserole. What size pan do you use. It needs to feed at least five people.

Julia Jordan
      February 9, 2020 at 2:19 pm

Barbara,
      It will easily feed 5. It’s a hearty meal. I use a square baking dish around 9 x 9 size. I hope that you enjoy the recipe.