Breakfast

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

I first made this casserole for dinner not breakfast. I knew it was going to be good. I didn’t realize everyone would be going for seconds and there would be none leftover. Yes, it’s that good.

This recipe has been a reader favorite since it was posted. Conveniently, you could also make this ahead, just heat ans serve. You could also prepare the ingredients and bake the next day. You’ll have a meal that the entire family will love.

Tasty Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients

• 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
  • 6 Eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 c Heavy Cream
  • 8 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
  • 1 small Onion, chopped (use half a medium onion if that’s all you have)
  • Tater Tots
  • Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste

Start by browning sausage in a skillet.

Cook breakfast sausage

Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots and Sausage

While the sausage cooks, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Spray an 8×8 casserole dish with cooking spray.

Add the cooked sausage to the bottom of the casserole dish. Add chopped onion on top of sausage layer.

Easy Tater Tot Casserole

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and heavy cream together. Season with salt and pepper. Add to casserole dish.

Next add a layer of grated cheese. I held back a little cheese to sprinkle on top of the casserole near the end of cooking.

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

Layer top with tater tots.

Layering tater tot casserole

Place into preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 35 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees and cook an additional 15-20 minutes until eggs are set.

Sprinkle top with cheese and return to oven to melt (optional).

Let stand 5 minutes before serving. It will be piping hot.

The Best Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

Cook’s Note: Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole can made made with or without meat depending on taste preference.

Tater Tot Casserole Breakfast

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is so easy to put together and delicious. This comfort food breakfast casserole will become a family favorite!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Active Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
  • 6 Eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 c Heavy Cream
  • 8 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
  • 1 small Onion, chopped (use half a medium onion if that's all you have)
  • Tater Tots
  • Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste

Instructions

Start by browning sausage in a skillet.

While the sausage cooks, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Spray an 8x8 casserole dish with cooking spray.

Layer top with tater tots.

Sprinkle top with cheese and return to oven to melt (optional).

Let stand 5 minutes before serving. It will be piping hot.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

6-8

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 193mg Sodium: 662mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Protein: 18g

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with sausage and eggs #delicious #breakfast #brunch #kidfriendly

More Recipes You Might Enjoy

Creamed Chipped Beef & Toast – S.O.S.

Creamed Chipped Beef & Toast – S.O.S.

Creamed chipped beef is a recipe originating in our nation’s military. It became popular outside the military as those who had served craved the dish once home. Although not all former servicemen remembered it with fondness considering how much they had to eat the very economical meal. It could have been as much as 3 times a day for those away on ships having to ration food. Officially called creamed chipped beef, it is also more commonly referred to as S.O.S. and remains a popular dish today.   Ingredients 4 tbs Butter 1/3 c Flour (all purpose) 3 c Whole Milk Cracked Black Pepper, to taste 4.5 oz Dried Beef, sliced Toasted Texas Toast Bread Slices                Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add butter.   When the butter is melted and begins to bubble add the flour and mix to combine. This makes a roux. Simmer the roux for 2-3 minutes to cook away the raw flour taste.         Add milk and stir or whisk to combine. This makes a white sauce known as BΓ©chamel.   Add cracked black pepper and the chipped beef to the white sauce and simmer 3-5 […]

Continue Reading
Biscuits and Gravy

Biscuits and Gravy

Southern buttermilk biscuits and sawmill gravy are a wonderful hearty breakfast or brunch, especially during the cooler months of fall and winter. Here is how to make it:     Southern Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe     Easy Biscuits Recipe      Sausage Gravy (Sawmill Gravy)   1/2 pound of fresh breakfast sausage 1/3 cup all purpose flour 3 cups of milk (whole milk) Salt and Pepper to taste   In a skillet scramble the sausage until browned over medium heat. Once the sausage has browned add the flour by sprinkling all around the pan and combine well with the sausage fat and sausage. Add salt and pepper. Stir around to cook the flour for about two minutes. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Cook the gravy by stirring constantly until it thickens. Remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl. Serve over the warm biscuits.             See it at: Meal Plan Monday Weekend Potluck

Continue Reading
Simple Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks

Simple Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks

Simple Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks are a classic and budget friendly meal. The seasoning on these roasted chicken pieces are usually basic, sometimes just salt and pepper. I’m going to share with you an easy and delicious way to have moist baked chicken with crispy skin the whole family will love. You’ll find baked chicken on nearly every menu of a meat and three dining establishment in the South. It really could be considered baked to death chicken. You end up with a dry chicken breast that nearly chokes you. Still it’s a favorite choice for many and popular menu item. Personally, I prefer baking dark meat chicken pieces. Dark meat pieces can withstand being cooked for a longer amount of time to get that perfect crispy skin without drying out. Chicken legs are inexpensive too. I picked up a package for under three dollars. Five minutes of prep is all it takes and these drumsticks go into the oven, leaving you time to work on other things. Printable Recipe Card at the end of this post Simple Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks – Instructions Step 1: Preheat oven to 375Β°F   Step 2: Line a baking sheet with foil and spray […]

Continue Reading
Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole

Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole

Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole is the sinfully delicious side dish everyone will love. Serve it on occasion as a special treat or for holiday meals

Get the Recipe

You Might Also Like

34 Comments

Lorelei Dean
    August 4, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Hi, I have never used the heavy cream. Could you use something other?

Anonymous
      August 5, 2016 at 3:11 am

Just use milk.

Julia
      August 5, 2016 at 10:56 am

Lorelei,
      Yes milk or hald & half would work also. Heavy cream just adds a richness to dishes – try it sometime in mashed potatoes or something. You'll love it πŸ™‚

Lorelei Dean
      August 7, 2016 at 4:23 am

Thank you both for your responses. Lorelei πŸ™‚

Carlee
    August 5, 2016 at 11:46 am

What a fun breakfast casserole! I have never had one like it before!

Anonymous
    August 6, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Going to make this tonight for Sunday breakfast.

Julia's Simply Southern
      August 15, 2016 at 3:47 pm

I hope you enjoyed it.

Caroline
    August 14, 2016 at 12:17 am

HI There! I have two teen boys (17 & 18) who are each 6'5" already, plus a 9 year old boy and an adult daughter, my husband and myself to feed. How much of this casserole would you recommend that I make to feed this group? Thanks

Rose Plummer
      August 15, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I would double this for that size family.

Julia's Simply Southern
      August 15, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Caroline if your teen boys eat like most, I would definitely double the recipe and make it in a large casserole dish. I would pay attention to cooking time because you will likely need to adjust for the size. I would keep check after 30 minutes until the eggs are set. I know they'll enjoy it.

Caroline
      September 18, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Thank you Julia and Rose for your replies. I will try making a double recipe of this. Due to vacations and camps, not everyone has been home until last week, so I haven't tried to do a lot of cooking lately and haven't attempted to make this. Between work, college, high school, and grade school, everyone is on a different schedule weekdays, so it will be a great treat for a coming weekend breakfast. Hugs to all!

Anonymous
    August 16, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Julia,
    I just found your site and love looking at what you are doing here! I tried to subscribe to your email posts but the feedburner did not send a subscription message to my email-inbox or junk mail. It will not allow me to re-try. Do you have any suggestions on how I can follow you via email?

Julia's Simply Southern
      August 17, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Good Morning. I'm glad you found us and thank you. I am not sure why the subscribe feature doesn't function properly. I have removed it. If you look on the left hand side columns under the "Tweets" there is a 'Follow By Email' and you can enter your email address and enter. You will receive an email with a link to verify. You will receive emails for each new post. You can also follow by Google +. I hope you'll join us on our social media outlets too. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.
      Julia

Bowl Me Over Debra Clark
    August 30, 2016 at 10:48 pm

I would love a big helping of this – super yummy – you can me at tatter tots! πŸ˜€ Stopping by to do some sharing from #FoodieFriDIY

Miz Helen
    September 1, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your weekend and your new Red Plate!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

Edye Nicole
    September 1, 2016 at 7:51 pm

My family would go crazy for this! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

Blessings,
    Edye | http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

S Marie
    September 3, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Man, this looks yummy! I know my kids would be ecstatic to see this being served at dinner. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us at Merry Monday this week!

Lisa Newman
    September 3, 2016 at 6:20 pm

We're gonna try this with sweet potato tots.. πŸ˜‹

juliepollitt
    October 13, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I love everything about this dish!

Chrystal Meredith
    October 14, 2017 at 1:35 am

Could I cook the onion in with the sausage and just go from there? I'm kinda afraid the onion won't get done all the way if I do it by the recipe.

Julia's Simply Southern
      October 14, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Chrystal,
      If you prefer really soft onions, yes you can saute them with the sausage πŸ™‚

Unknown
    October 15, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Are the tater tots frozen or do you cook them first?

Julia
    October 15, 2017 at 8:20 pm

The tater tots are frozen. They cook while the casserole bakes πŸ™‚

lee duffy
    October 21, 2017 at 6:28 am

I am in australia…what is the equivalent of breakfast sausage…?

Julia
      October 22, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Lee,
      I can't find what the equivalent would be. From my reading, it seems that American breakfast sausage is difficult to find in Australia. You can make your own if you like. There are many recipes available – it's basically 1 lb of minced pork combined with seasonings such as sage, salt/pepper, red pepper flakes with variations of other ingredients such as crushed fennel, nutmeg, garlic. If you have a favorite minced meat and seasonings combination that would work fine to suit to your taste πŸ™‚

Anonymous
    October 21, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Can I make this the night before and cook in morning?

Julia
      October 22, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Yes you can. I typically go ahead and cook it and just re-heat the next morning. Either way will work πŸ™‚

Bridget
    January 21, 2018 at 4:11 am

I think I’d put the tater tots on the bottom and then the egg and then the sausage. πŸ™‚ That way it’s kinda like having a scotch egg casserole! This looks delicious though.

I’d leave off the cheese though, my husband dislikes cheeses in general.