In this post I’ll be sharing a delicious hash brown breakfast casserole recipe that you and your family will love.
Are you searching for hash brown breakfast ideas? Besides throwing the hash brown potatoes into a hot cast iron skillet or on a hot griddle, I mean. Well, my friend, I’ve got a delicious sausage and hash brown breakfast casserole that will make everyone happy.
Y’all, I love a good breakfast casserole! I love breakfast! In fact, breakfast might just be my most favorite meal of the day. Okay, admittedly, I love all meals, but breakfast has a really special place in my heart. I love breakfast foods! I think you’re getting the point.
Well, I’m here to tell you that this hash brown breakfast casserole is a delicious way to start the day. You can even make it an overnight breakfast casserole if you prefer by pre-assembling it the night before to bake the next morning.
This is one of those dishes that the entire family will enjoy and request again and again. A hash brown breakfast casserole is also great when you’re hosting guests or for your holiday breakfast.
Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
Doesn’t that look amazing, my friend? It really is so delicious! In this house, we love a few dashes of hot sauce with this cheesy hashbrown breakfast casserole.
Now, let me tell ya, if there is something that you or your littles don’t like, just leave it out. I understand that not everyone is fond of onions or red bell peppers. No need to cause anyone to have a melt down over breakfast. Lawd!
Personally, I love everything in this casserole and think that the red pepper gives it a nice kick of color. I’m all about “we eat with our eyes first“. Because it is true.
Easy Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
What to serve with hash brown breakfast casserole? The casserole is hearty and easily makes the entire meal itself but if you’re serving a larger crowd then consider also serving the casserole with a few more options.
Toasted bread with jam, biscuits, and fruit are great options. Don’t forget the beverages. Water, juice for a healthy dose of vitamin c first thing, coffee, or tea would be wonderful with this hashbrown casserole.
What is Breakfast Hash Brown Casserole Made Of?
Here’s what you’ll need to make this awesome baked casserole for breakfast:
- Hash Brown Potatoes – I prefer the refrigerated (not frozen) shredded hash brown potatoes, like those from Simply Potatoes. The refrigerated hash browns make for easy breakfast recipes and there is no need to waste time waiting around for frozen potatoes to thaw.
Could you use something besides shredded hashbrowns? You could use the frozen hash brown patties or tater tots if that is what you have on hand.
- Pork Sausage – I like to use the hot breakfast sausage from Jimmy Dean or Neese’s. Those are just two or our favorite brands but use whatever you prefer.
- Red Bell Pepper – for texture, color and added flavor. Any color of sweet bell pepper would work just fine too.
- Small Onion – I used a yellow onion for delicious added flavor in the casserole bake.
- Cheddar Cheese – My preferred choice is extra sharp cheddar cheese because it adds that cheesy goodness and is one of my favorite things in a good breakfast casserole. Fresh grated cheeses are also my preference.
Do you have to use cheddar? (Reluctantly in a soft voice) no, you can use whatever you like. Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Colby Jack or whatever you like best would be fine too. Just add lots of cheese that makes you happiest.
- Large Eggs – pastured eggs if you can get them are so flavorful and nutritious.
- Whole Milk – to help create the creamy eggs mixture.
- Salt and Black Pepper – for seasoning.
Alternative or Optional Ingredients
Optional ingredients are sour cream or hot sauce for serving for those who want it and green onions for garnish.
I keep this breakfast bake simple with the seasonings and just use salt and pepper. You can add additional seasonings, of course, if you want. Garlic powder, onion powder or a pinch of cayenne pepper to give the morning casserole a kick would be great too.
Alternative ingredients that you may prefer include: turkey sausage or Italian sausage if you like those flavors better than the breakfast sausage.
Sausage, Egg & Cheese Hashbrown Breakfast Bake
I use a deep 9 x 13 baking dish for this recipe. Lightly spray the casserole dish with some non-stick cooking spray then add the shredded hash brown potatoes to form the bottom layer.
To keep things simple, I just add the refrigerated hash browns as they are. If you really prefer crispy hash browns and want that texture in your casserole, then you can brown them in a large skillet over medium-high heat before adding to the baking dish.
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
The next step is to prepare the sausage mixture. Add the breakfast sausage to a skillet over medium heat and cook sausage until browned and crumbled.
Once the minced sausage has nearly cooked through, you can go ahead and add the onion and bell pepper, and allow it to cook until the sausage is done and the vegetables are tender.
Drain off any excess grease if necessary.
Easy Breakfast Casserole
Next, use a large bowl to prepare the egg mixture. Crack the fresh egg into the bowl and add the milk, a teaspoon salt, ground black pepper; then use a whisk to combine eggs and seasonings with milk.
The recipe calls for eight eggs but you can easily add a whole dozen if you want to make the casserole a little bit fluffier and a bit more hearty.
Set the egg mixture aside for a moment to finish assembling the hash brown breakfast casserole.
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Next, add the sausage mixture on top of the hash browns then top with the freshly grated cheese.
Finally pour the egg mixture over the layers and pop the casserole into a pre-heated oven to bake until the eggs are set. It smells amazing as it bakes!
If you’re preparing this the night before, just cover the casserole with plastic wrap before baking and refrigerate overnight. The next morning you can bake it until done.
This is such an easy recipe and so versatile.
Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
How does hash brown breakfast casserole taste? As amazing as it looks! Oh. My. Word. It is so good.
If you have leftovers, they re-heat beautifully. Just cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate and re-heat the leftovers the next day until warmed through.
Printable Recipe Card
- 20 ounce Refrigerated Shredded Hash Browns (like Simply Potatoes brand)
- 16 ounce Pork Sausage ( I used the Hot Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, finely diced
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 8 ounce Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated (2 cups)
- 8 Eggs, beaten
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- ½ Ground Black Pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C)
- Lightly spray a rectangle baking dish ( I used a 9x13) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, spread the hash brown potatoes in a single layer in the greased casserole dish to form the bottom layer. Set aside until needed.
- Cook the sausage until crumbled and browned in a medium sized skillet over medium heat (about 8 minutes). Add the diced red pepper and onions to the sausage and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Drain excess grease.
- Top the shredded hash brown layer with the sausage mixture and the shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and seasonings then pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the eggs are set.
- Allow the breakfast casserole to rest 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with sliced scallions, if desired.
See full post for tips making this as an overnight casserole, serving suggestions, alternate ingredients and re-heating leftovers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 582Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 264mgSodium: 788mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 26g
You might also enjoy
Check out the Latest Recipes on the Blog
- Best Labor Day Snack Ideas to Celebrate the End of Summer
- Easy Sour Cream Cheddar Cheese Biscuits Recipe
- Dinner Ideas with Canned Chicken and Easy Recipes
- Traditional Homemade Southern Coleslaw Recipe
- Easy Skillet Breakfast Potatoes Recipe with Greek Seasoning
- Simple Spaghetti with Olive Oil Recipe
Popular Recipes at Julia’s Simply Southern
- Easy Baked Cubed Beef Steaks
- Classic Southern Meatloaf Recipe
- Macaroni and Tomatoes Recipe
- Traditional Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- Southern Purple Hull Peas
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Thank you so much for stopping by! I am so glad that you did! I know that you will love this hash brown breakfast casserole recipe just as much as my family does and will add it to your best breakfast casserole recipe collection.
Be sure to subscribe to my email list while you’re here. Subscribers receive a weekly newsletter with the latest recipes and news here on the blog so that you never miss a thing.