In this post I’m sharing my version of a Sausage and Rice Casserole.
We all enjoyed the dish very much but it has been three years since I’ve had it. Sigh. That is one of the things about being a food blogger is that meals don’t come back into rotation often enough.
Last week the craziest thing happened….all of the sudden I was seeing recipes for sausage and rice casseroles pop up everywhere in my news feeds. I took that as a sign from above that I needed to make one again and this time thought I’d give it my own twist and share with y’all.
Sausage and Rice Dressing
Just look at that moist, creamy and delicious casserole! Yes, it is also sometimes referred to as dressing as well.
We enjoyed this sausage casserole for dinner the evening that I made it and I had it again for lunch the next day. I may or may not have had bigger than should be allowed portions too.
I would like to offer a couple of tips when making this casserole:
- Grease the casserole dish well with some softened butter to prevent sticking.
- About halfway through baking, carefully pull out the oven rack so you can gently turn the casserole…this ensures you don’t get a lot of crunchy rice bits on top. This also helps to incorporate that nice crispy bits from the sides throughout the casserole so everyone gets some.
Spicy Sausage and Rice Dinner Recipe
What is the difference between rice dressing and dirty rice? Quite a bit actually. Dirty rice is more of a skillet dish that contains beef, pork and chicken livers. Rice Dressing is made using only pork breakfast sausage and baked with a few other ingredients. They taste nothing alike.
Do I have to use creamed soups in this recipe? Yes! Creamed soups are an essential part of many casserole recipes and keep it moist and add flavor.
I cook nearly every day of the year and out of 365 days, I might use creamed soups 5 of those days. Moderation is the key to all food choices.
Sausage Rice Casserole
The spicy breakfast sausage works really well in this recipe. If you’re sensitive to spicier foods then you could opt for a mild sausage instead.
Savory Sausage Rice Casserole
Below you’ll find the step by step instructions for preparing this dish in the printable recipe card.
- 1 lb Hot Breakfast Sausage
- 1 tbs Butter, softened (to grease the casserole dish)
- 10.5 oz Canned Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 10.5 oz Canned Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/2 c Celery, diced
- 1 c White Long Grain Rice
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 c Sharp Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- Cook the breakfast sausage in a skillet, crumble and drain well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F ( 176°C )
- Grease a rectangle baking dish well with a tablespoon of softened butter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients together. NOTE: Do not dilute the creamed soups.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 1 ½ Hours.
- Halfway through baking, carefully pull the oven rack out and gently turn the casserole mixture.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spode 1607262 Woodland Red Fox Dinner Plate
365 Everyday Value, Organic Long Grain White Rice, 32 oz
Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup 10.5 ounce ( 4 pack )
Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, 10.5 oz. Can, 4 Count
M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set - Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick for Cooking, Baking and Mixing - Ergonomic, Dishwasher Safe Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
Porcelain Rectangle Baking Dish Set of 2, Floral Pizza Pie Cheese Serving Bakeware Oven Household Tableware(Baking dish set of 2)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 589mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g
- Meal Plan Monday 210
- Carolina Slaw Dog Recipe
- Easy Homemade Bread Meal Plan Monday 209
- Spicy Ranch Packet Chicken Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 208
Thanks for stopping by! I know you’re gonna love this dish.