In this post I’m sharing how to make a Dorito Taco Salad with Catalina.
You may have seen this salad at a potluck or luncheon. It is quite popular. This delicious taco salad has Doritos mixed into it. I’ve heard it is equally delicious with Fritos corn chips also.
A Doritos taco salad for a crowd is easy to put together. The first time that I had this awesome salad was at an office luncheon party. One bite was all it took….amazing!
I don’t know where the recipe originated but you see it everywhere now. I’ve read that the founder of Fritos and Doritos did. If that’s true I’d say he came up with a winner…with the chips and the salad recipe.
Catalina Taco Salad
There is seasoned ground beef in this recipe, but you can make a taco salad without meat as well. There are beans that offer protein.
If you’re unsure about the Catalina dressing, I really suggest that you try it. The combination of ingredients work so well together in this recipe.
If your family are ranch dressing fanatics, it’s time to try a new flavor. HaHa! You could use ranch though if you really want to.
Easy Doritos Taco Salad
Here’s what you’ll need to make a delicious taco salad: lettuce (I prefer Iceberg), ground beef, taco seasoning, pinto beans (kidney work too), carrots, cucumber, onion, red bell pepper, corn, tomatoes, black olives, diced jalapeno, shredded cheese and Doritos. You can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste easily as well.
The recipe calls for an entire nine and three quarters oz bag of Doritos but somehow I ended up with just nine ounces. Wink, Wink!
The Doritos do soften a bit once in the salad, so I wait until just before serving to add them. Not only does this salad taste really good, it is pretty to look at. I think so anyways. I love colorful food!
Beef and Cheese Taco Salad
I’d say this salad also works for a Taco Tuesday lunch or Cinco de Mayo side dish. One thing is for sure, you’ll enjoy this tasty salad whenever possible.
Full Printable Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1.25 oz Packet of Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 c Water
- 1 Head of Iceberg Lettuce, chopped
- 2 or 3 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 c Cucumber, sliced or diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (ribs and seeds removed) - optional
- 15 oz Can of Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
- 11 oz Can of Corn Niblets, rinsed and drained
- 2.25 oz Can of Sliced Black Olives, rinsed and drained
- 1 c Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 c Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 3/4 c Catalina Dressing, or more if needed to dress the salad.
- 9.75 oz Bag of Doritos
- Brown the ground beef, drain of excess oil.
- Add taco seasoning and water then mix to combine.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid has evaporated.
- Allow the meat mixture to cool a few minutes to room temperature.
- Combine the meat mixture, vegetables and shredded cheese together.
- Next, add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Crunch the Doritos in the bag to break into smaller pieces then add to the salad and mix to combine.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 643mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 19g
Be sure to check out our Doritos Taco Salad Video in this post
Thank you for stopping by! If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to share it.