In this post I’m sharing a recipe for an Amazing Coconut Pecan Chess Pie. It’s so good y’all!
Just like other chess pies, this one contains buttermilk and cornmeal. If you’ve never had chess pie that may sound a bit strange to you but this pie is delicious.
By the way…. I have no shame at all sharing a dessert recipe with you in January when I know a lot of folks have vowed to go on a diet this month.
If you happen to be on a new year diet plan, just save this pie for January 23rd, which happens to be national pie day. You gotta have pie on pie day, it’s the law. Just kidding but really you need to have a slice or three.
Simple Coconut Chess Pie
What is the origin of chess pie? Chess pie originated in the South, of course. According to old tales, a cook on a plantation came up with the original recipe. When asked what she had made, her response was “just pie” said in a thick Southern accent which sounded like “chess pie“.
Does coconut chess pie need to be refrigerated? Because of the dairy, I recommend refrigerating the pie. It will be perfectly fine if left out for several hours.
Coconut Pie with Cornmeal
How do you serve coconut chess pie? Serve pie slices topped with whipped cream. For a special finishing touch, toasted coconut flakes can be added for garnish.
There are many variations of chess pie and they’re all delicious. I may be somewhat partial to the coconut pecan version however since both ingredients are among my favorite foods.
What Do I Need to Bake this Pie?
Sweetened Flaked Coconut
Store Bought Pie Crust
You’ll find the full step by step instructions in the printable recipe card below.
- 3 Large Eggs, beaten
- 1 c Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 c Buttermilk
- 2 tbs Butter, melted
- 1 tbs Cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp Coconut Flavoring
- 1.5 c Flaked Sweetened Coconut
- 1/4 c Chopped Pecans
- 1 Unbaked Frozen Pie Shell (9 inch deep dish)
Garnish for Serving
- Whipped Cream
- Toasted Unsweetened Coconut Chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C)
- In a mixing bow, whisk the eggs then add the sugar, buttermilk, melted butter, cornmeal and coconut flavoring. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in the sweetened flaked coconut and pecans then pour into the frozen pie crust.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake 30 more minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Serve with whipped cream and toasted coconut garnish, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 78mg Sodium: 166mg Carbohydrates: 47g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 34g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g
- Meal Plan Monday 200 Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya
- Pepper Jack Egg White Bites with Bacon & Veggies
- Meal Plan Monday 199 Kitchen Sink Cookies
- 25 Cheap Easy Meals on a Budget
- Amazing Coconut Pecan Chess Pie