In this post I am sharing how to make Southern Bird Dog Sandwiches.
Unbeknownst to this South Carolina girl there is a popular sandwich called the “Bird Dog”. It also happens that it became well known in the region of the state where I live.
It was just two years ago that my husband and I were having lunch in a country store… you know the kind of place where you can fill up your tank, eat lunch in the cafe, and buy simple groceries or fishing tackle that I saw bird dogs on the menu.
Y’all, I was born here, raised here and still live here so I’m not really sure why a bird dog never caught my eye. People love them too. Who knew? Well, a lot of people know.
ESPN even did a story about bird dogs when they discovered one of the Clemson football players loved them so much.
South Carolina Bird Dog Sandwiches
What do you put on a bird dog? You can top a bird dog any way you like but there are some well known versions. A classic is basically topped with honey mustard and you can add crispy bacon and cheese if you like. There are also buffalo bird dogs or ranch bird dogs topped with ranch dressing.
Do the chicken tenders have to be fried? Fried tenders are the most popular way to eat a bird dog but if you prefer you could use grilled or “naked” tenders instead.
Carolina Bird Dogs
This simple version of a fried chicken tender sandwich is great for busy weeknight meals, lunches, tailgating food or Labor Day.
Sometimes the simplest recipes are the most favored and y’all know I love simple recipes.
The Famous Southern Bird Dog
Let’s make Southern Bird Dog Sandwiches!
- 8 Hot Dog Buns (deli style top slit preferred)
- 8 Cooked Breaded Chicken Tenders
- Honey Mustard
- 8 Sliced of Cooked Bacon, optional
- Shredded Cheese, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F - if you plan to top with cheese.
- Assemble the bird dogs by placing cooked breaded chicken tenders in hot dog buns.
- Next, add bacon (if desired) and honey mustard.
- Top with shredded cheese and place into the oven and bake until cheese is melted (if desired).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 668mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Sign up for our free newsletter
- Meal Plan Monday 235 Caprese Chicken
- Bratwurst Potatoes and Sauerkraut Skillet Meal
- Meal Plan Monday 234 Fall Green Salad
- Cheddar Garlic Drop Biscuits Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 233 Beef Brisket
Thank you for stopping by! Share this recipe with friends and check out more of our posts by checking out the recipe index at the top of the page.