Dinner/ Lunch

Julia’s Southern Hot Dog Chili Sauce

I’ve loved hot dogs as long as I can remember. Hot dogs topped with good ole’ fashioned chili sauce! Some even go so far as to top that chili with a helping of coleslaw too.

How do you prefer topping your hot dog? Typically for myself it is chili, mustard and onions. Sometimes slaw on top. If I’m just having a chili bun though, which is a thing, it’s the bun with mayonnaise and chili.

Regardless of how you top them, hot dogs are a favorite for many.

Ingredients

• 1.5 lbs Ground Beef
  • 1/8 c Ketchup
  • 1 tsp Hot Sauce
  • ½ Medium Onion Minced (Keep the other half as a condiment for the Hot Dogs)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 tsp Onion Powder
  • ½ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • ¼ c Beer (optional)
  • 3-4 c Water
  • ½ tsp Paprika
  • Pinch Sugar
  • 1 tbs Chili Powder
  • 2 tbs Tomato Paste

Old Fashioned Hot Dog Chili Sauce

Cover the ground beef with water and break up the meat completely. Next, add the beer (if using), diced onion, Worcestershire, ketchup, hot sauce sauce and spices and start on Medium High to bring to a rapid boil.

Reduce and simmer. You can cook it down faster if needed on a higher temperature, just until most water is reduced. Stir occasionally.

When water is reduced, add tomato paste to thicken. Stir to incorporate.

Serve as a hot dog topping.

Leftover chili sauce freezes well.

Carolina Style Southern Hot Dog Chili Sauce

Best Hot Dog Chili

Julia's Southern Hot Dog Chili Sauce

Julia's Southern Hot Dog Chili Sauce
Delicious Southern style hot dog chili sauce is the perfect topping for hot dogs. Everyone enjoys my signature recipe for hot dog chili and I know you will too.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Active Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes

Ingredients

• 1.5 lbs Ground Beef
  • 1/8 c Ketchup
  • 1 tsp Hot Sauce
  • ½ Medium Onion Minced (Keep the other half as a condiment for the Hot Dogs)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 tsp Onion Powder
  • ½ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • ¼ c Beer (optional)
  • 3-4 c Water
  • ½ tsp Paprika
  • Pinch Sugar
  • 1 tbs Chili Powder
  • 2 tbs Tomato Paste

Instructions

When water is reduced, add tomato paste to thicken. Stir to incorporate.

Serve as a hot dog topping.

Leftover chili sauce freezes well.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 153mg Carbohydrates: 1g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 8g
See it at:

The Best Southern Hot Dog Chili Sauce Recipe - this is Julia's signature recipe for old fashioned Carolina style chili sauce that everyone loves #chili #hotdog #chilisauce #grilling #SouthernFood

You Might Also Like

29 Comments

Mary N
    June 5, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe with us at Weekend Potluck, Julia 🙂 I love chili dogs…one of my favorite foods! Hoping you can link back to the party for a possible feature. Thanks for all your awesome shares! Hope you have a great week!

Julia
      June 5, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Yes, I sure will. I was leaving to go out of town Friday morning and in a rush. I am linking back now 🙂

Mary N
      June 6, 2017 at 4:13 pm

You're such a great supporter of WPL – Thanks for all your shares!!

Mary Lotempio
    June 10, 2017 at 11:26 pm

This recipe is right on time, I just bought hot dogs, and now i'm going to make this sauce. I love hot dog sauce and never knew how to make it.
    Thanks for sharing!

Julia
      June 12, 2017 at 6:18 pm

I hope you enjoy the recipe Mary!

Jennifer Galer
    June 26, 2017 at 5:35 pm

When do the onions go in? Are they considered a "spice"?

Julia
      June 26, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Jennifer,
      Thank you for pointing that out. I have updated the post 🙂

Maribeth
    June 28, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Looks yummy! We will probably grill hot dogs on the 4th.

Julia
      June 28, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Anonymous
    September 2, 2017 at 5:54 pm

I really wish you'd remove the beer, it's been Proven that ALCOHOL DOESN'T COOK OUT IT'S DOESN'T COOK OUT you really don't need it in there

Julia
      September 4, 2017 at 9:01 pm

That ingredient is optional.

Larry J. Webb
      February 8, 2019 at 8:39 am

It doesn’t necessarily need to be removed, if you don’t like it, don’t use it, its like your TV if you don’t like what your looking at, turn the channel

MARGARET JOHNSON
    June 11, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Do any of you have any pressure cooker recipes??

Julia Jordan
      June 11, 2018 at 7:17 pm

I’m afraid I don’t at this time. I’ve never used a pressure cooker for preparing meals. I do have a few slow cooker recipes. I’m considering adding some pressure cooker recipes in the future.

Debb White
    November 30, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Loved your chili for not dogs!!! Have you added any instant pot recipes yet?

Julia Jordan
      November 30, 2018 at 4:40 pm

Debb,
      Thank you! That’s one of our most popular recipes. I don’t have any instant pot recipes yet of my own but if you check out the Meal Plan Monday posts each week on my website, you’ll find some there 🙂
      Julia

Diane Sexton
    February 1, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Love so many recipes.. Thank you. The logos on the right side of screen, P for pin, F for facebook,Twitter,and the Gmail/Email makes it very difficult in seeing recipes.

Julia Jordan
      February 1, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Diane,
      Thank you. I so glad you enjoy the recipes. Thank you for the feedback on the mobile share buttons. They will be updated to hopefully provide a better experience while you’re visiting.

Dave Graue
    February 8, 2019 at 11:26 am

Thanks for all your great recipes. I really only have one issue and that is…you don’t list the ingredients in order of use. For someone like me who is new to cooking, I kind of need a little more structure. lol But they still turned out great. Will be looking for more great eats in the future.

Julia Jordan
      February 8, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Dave,
      Back when I was new to blogging I was just learning the ropes 🙁 Please forgive me. You’ll find that the recipes eventually list ingredients in order when I caught on to how things work. Thank you so much for stopping by.
      Julia

Kathy
    February 8, 2019 at 1:17 pm

This looks good but I’m confused about the hamburger meat. So you don’t cook it first? Is it greasy?

Julia Jordan
      February 8, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Kathy,
      No, you don’t cook it first. It cooks as it simmers.

shawn
    February 8, 2019 at 5:48 pm

Do you drain the ground beef? Or do you leave in the excess grease?

Julia Jordan
      February 8, 2019 at 9:28 pm

You can leave it because typically you would use a slotted spoon to drain each serving before topping a hot dog or burger. If you wanted to remove the excess fat after it cools, or after it has been refrigerated overnight, down it is easier because it solidifies on top.

Angelina
    February 9, 2019 at 10:16 am

A nice recipe, which has the ingredients of most good hot dog chilies, …. so what makes this a ‘southern’ recipe? Is it the way the gr. beef is cooked? That’s an interesting method, so I’ll give it a try. What is the advantage of cooking the meat this way, if any.

Julia Jordan
      February 9, 2019 at 4:12 pm

This is the traditional Southern hot dog chili sauce. You’ll find that the chili sauces vary by regions of the US.

Vicky
      February 12, 2019 at 8:10 am

If you look at the photo, you’ll notice how the ground beef has a fine texture, like crumbles, which is the result of cooking it in water. Much better texture than larger chunks.

Collier Austin
    March 11, 2019 at 5:48 pm

I LOVE a good chili dog with mustard and onions. When I was pregnant with my daughter, (34 years ago! Yikes!), I worked for the advertising department of a large department store. They had a Hot Dog Restaurant in the basement. I must have eaten there twice a week for my entire pregnancy! Still trying to find a hot dog chili to top Angelos. I will definitely give your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!

Julia Jordan
      March 11, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Let me know what you think when you try it. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Thank you so much for stopping by.