In this post I am sharing how to make delicious Cheddar Cheese Grits Breakfast Bowls.
Being from the South and like most Southerns, I love grits. I enjoy grits prepared a lot of ways too – like blackberry grits and my all time favorite meal, shrimp and grits. Then there are cheese grits…another wonderful option and they’re so good y’all!
I also happen to be a cheese fanatic so of course I love a good bowl of cheesy grits.
Have you tried grits and didn’t care for them? Occasionally I ask readers if they like grits to which I get a mix of those who do and some who don’t care for them at all.
I encourage you to try grits again if you’re one of the folks who don’t care for them.
Creamy Cheese Grits
What are grits made of? If you’re unfamiliar with grits then you should know they’re made from a special variety of ground corn.
How do you make creamy grits? Everyone may have their own way they like to prepare grits but for me there will be heavy cream and butter added to ensure a delicious creamy texture.
Are grits healthy? Grits are a good source of iron and provide other vitamins as well. It is said that the stone ground variety are more nutritious due to the fact that they aren’t processed as much.
I only use stone ground grits.
Southern Style Cheese Grits Recipe
It is really easy to prepare a breakfast bowl with grits by adding an egg, cooked however you like it, along with your breakfast meat of choice. Bacon or sausage are what we tend to choose.
- 8 Cooked Bacon Slices (could use sausage patties or country ham if preferred)
- 4 Fried Eggs (or cooked as preferred)
- 4 c Cooked Grits ( I used the Luquire Carolina Creole brand for this recipe) - prepared according to package directions
- 1 c Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated
- Prepare the grits according to directions by combining water, salt, heavy cream, grits and butter together in a sauce pan; bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- While the grits cook, prepare eggs and breakfast meats according to preference.
- Remove the grits from the heat and stir in the grated cheddar, continue to stir until the cheese is melted.
- Serve the cheese grits in bowls topped with eggs and breakfast meat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
CAROLINA GRITS ONLY: Our sofi™ Award Winning Carolina Stone Ground Grits
DOWAN 24 Oz, Porcelain Bowls, Deep Bowls for Soup, Cereal, Salad, Set of 4, White
TEEVEA (Upgraded) 3 Pack Very Sturdy Kitchen Whisk Silicone Balloon Wire Whisk Set Egg Beater Milk Frother Kitchen Utensils Gadgets for Blending Whisking Beating Stirring Red
Cuisinart MCP194-20N MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 4-Quart Saucepan with Cover
Carolina Plantation, Grits Stone Ground, 32 Ounce
Palmetto Farms White Grits 3 Pack
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 238mgSodium: 687mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 24g
- Meal Plan Monday 217 Vidalia Onion Casserole
- Meal Plan Monday 216
- Classic Tuna Melt Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 215 Taco Salad
- Meal Plan Monday 214 Crock Pot Ground Beef
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy this breakfast meal at your table soon.