Dinner

Country Beef Gravy over Buttered Noodles

Photo of old fashioned buttered noodles topped with hamburger beef gravy and garnished with scallions on a blue and white plate

Please Share Y'all!

In this post I am sharing the recipe for Country Beef Gravy over Buttered Noodles.

This is a simple dinner to make during the busy week. It’s something different to mix things up from the regular hamburger steak and gravy. Buttered Noodles, mmmmmm, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love that.

The creamy beef gravy is a great combo bringing two favorites together. It’s almost like making sausage gravy but using ground beef instead. Some folks refer to this as old fashioned hamburger gravy.

There are some folks who consider this to be S.O.S. chipped beef on toast but I think of that particular dish made with dried beef.

While this dish is by no means a “new” recipe, let me share what gave me the inspiration to make it at home was after a visit to Las Vegas.

My sister in law and I went out to a breakfast place and ordered biscuits and gravy. Expecting sausage gravy, I was surprised when the biscuits were topped with a ground beef gravy instead. It was delicious and we both enjoyed our meal.

While I liked their twist with the gravy biscuits, I think I’ll stick to sausage for mine and use this country beef gravy over buttered noodles or toast or potatoes.

Here’s what you’ll need: (updated August 24, 2020)

• Ground Beef
  • Diced Onion
  • Salt
  • Ground Black Pepper
  • Onion Powder (and any other seasonings that you might enjoy)
  • Flour
  • Whole Milk
  • Cooked Noodles
  • Butter
  • Water for boiling pasta

Hamburger Gravy

Cooked ground beef in a skillet with flour to make a gravy sauce

Hamburger gravy and noodles makes a wonderful family meal. This is one of those recipes that is budget friendly and so delicious. Kids love it too! The creamy beef gravy can be seasoned however you prefer and is so filling served over the pasta.

Creamed beef, tuna, eggs, dried beef along with other staples were a way to stretch ingredients while making a filling meal on a tight budget.

Once you brown your ground beef mixture, keep those fat juices because they’re needed to make the gravy. You can add the flour directly into the cooked beef mixture and stir to combine.

Pasta with Gravy

Creamy hamburger gravy in a skilet

Ground Beef Gravy

A bed of cooked noodles topped with thick creamy hamburger gravy garnished with sliced spring onion

I use whole milk to make this hamburger gravy which makes it nice and creamy. Water could also be used and would create a more brown beefy gravy.

Once your beefy gravy has thickened, give it a taste and adjust seasonings if needed.

Country Beef Gravy and Noodles

The photo above is from back in 2016 (cringe) I felt like the gravy wasn’t thick enough and my photo skills were certainly lacking. It can be difficult to make brown foods look appealing in a photograph. I hope the updates I’m sharing do it justice.

Blue and White china plate with a serving of noodles topped with hamburger gravy

Doesn’t that look good, y’all? It is so yummy! You’re gonna love it for a quick and easy meal. This is one of those dinners that you’ll have on the table in less than half an hour.

Top it with sliced scallions or a bit of parsley if you’d like and serve. I used a few sliced scallions to dress it up a little for new photos.

I’ll share all of the details in the printable recipe card below.

Yield: 1 pound of Hamburger Gravy

Country Beef Gravy & Buttered Noodles

Old fashioned hamburger gravy is thick, creamy and delicious. A great budget friendly meal when served over buttered noodles, toast or mashed potatoes.

Prep Time 5 minutes

• 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/3 c Flour
  • 1.5 c Milk

Pasta

• 1 pkg Egg Noodles or Old Fashioned Style Noodles
  • 4 tbs Butter
  • Water for boiling pasta and salt to add to water

Instructions

1. Heat a medium to large skillet over medium heat; add the ground beef, diced onion and seasonings. Break up the meat as it browns and cook until no longer pink. Do no drain.
  2. Next, add the flour and stir to incorporate into the beef mixture. Continue to cook while stirring for 2-3 minutes then add the milk. Gently stir to combine and bring to a simmer; cook until gravy is thickened.
  3. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
  4. Serve over cooked buttered noodles, Toasted Bread or Mashed Potatoes. (Cook pasta according to package directions while preparing the hamburger gravy. Drain and toss with butter.)

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 541Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 136mgSodium: 795mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 37g

Meet Julia

Author of Julia's Simply Southern

Please Share Y'all!

You Might Also Like

28 Comments

Susan Kasmiskie
    February 16, 2016 at 4:49 am

I am going to try this tomorrow, it looks delicious! Thank you for sharing.

Julia
      February 16, 2016 at 10:55 am

I hope you enjoy it Susan, thank you.

Peggy W
    February 16, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Super yummy! This is truly a great comfort food for sure – will be making this again!,

Julia
      February 16, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Thank you Peggy. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous
    March 8, 2016 at 2:54 am

We were served this gravy over mashed potatoes when we were in school back in the 60s and 70s. This was a favorite for a lot of kids at our school! I still love it!

Anonymous
    March 8, 2016 at 2:56 am

We were served this gravy over mashed potatoes for our school lunches. It was a favorite of most of the students! I still love it!

Marsha Baker
    July 30, 2016 at 12:53 am

Sounds delicious! Great recipe to keep handy. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck. Enjoy your weekend…hope to see you next Friday at WP.

Jim
    August 20, 2018 at 6:43 pm

We often had something like this when I was growing up and I have been craving it recently. Tonight, I made a batch for my family. You took my taste buds back to childhood. And my six-year-old declared this recipe a winner. Thank you!

Julia Jordan
      August 20, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Thank you for sharing your fond memory and I’m so happy your family enjoyed it πŸ™‚

Mary
    August 24, 2018 at 6:37 pm

This is a perfect weeknight meal – good old comfort food! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us at Weekend Potluck. Thanks for all your delicious shares, Julia!

Julia Jordan
      August 24, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Mary,
      Thank you. I love sharing at the Weekend Potluck and enjoy all of the great recipes!
      Julia

CindiLou
    February 7, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Followed the recipe to the letter and this just didn’t have any flavor.
    Won’t be on our menu again.
    Off to look for more recipes on this site!

Barry
    September 12, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Great recipe but you really need to add a print button to all of your amazing recipes.

Julia Jordan
      September 13, 2019 at 7:44 am

Thank you so much. I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe. There is a recipe card that is further down in the post and there is a print button. I’m not sure why it wasn’t showing up for you and I apologize.

Kelly S
    January 7, 2020 at 10:18 am

Wondering if I could sub cream for milk? Guess I’ll find out how it goes tonight. Trying to find more ways to feed the kids who ONLY like buttered noodles πŸ™‚

Julia Jordan
      January 7, 2020 at 11:26 am

Kelly,
      You sure can. Cream will make it a bit richer but that’s not a bad thing in my book. I hope that your family enjoys it.

JenE
    March 26, 2020 at 8:58 pm

I doubled the onion powder, added 1tsp garlic powder, probably more salt and pepper, used only 1 cup milk, 1/2 c. Cream , 1 cup broth instead of water. And reduced flour to 1/4c. Delish!

Julia Jordan
      March 27, 2020 at 7:08 am

I’m so glad that you enjoyed the recipe!

Carol Rempel
    August 20, 2020 at 7:09 pm

tried this recipe…was very good…i usually just use a can of mushroom soup, but i wanted to try it with a milk gravy, i didnt measure the spices, and i added about a 1/2 cup of cream just for a bit of a richer sauce….this recipe is a keeper

Julia Jordan
      August 21, 2020 at 8:28 am

I’m so happy that you enjoyed it πŸ™‚

Carlee
    August 28, 2020 at 6:00 am

This looks so yummy and comforting. I can’t wait to make it for dinner!

Julia Jordan
      August 28, 2020 at 7:45 am

Thank you my friend. It is such a simple meal but so tasty.

Miz Helen
    September 1, 2020 at 1:32 pm

Country Beef Gravy is so comforting, wish I had some right now! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday,499 and hope you have a great week!
    Miz Helen

Kippi
    September 4, 2020 at 8:29 am

Yum, this looks delicious and so comforting after a long day.
    Have a great weekend,
    Kippi

Julia Jordan
      September 4, 2020 at 8:42 am

Kippi,
      Thank you so much. I hope that you enjoy your weekend as well.
      ~Julia

David W Griffin
    September 13, 2020 at 8:44 am

Tried this yesterday. it was nice but a little bland. Also I think my use of half and half (didn’t have milk) might have made it too thick and also my whole wheat fresh pasta might have not worked as well as regular wheat pasta would have done. Still good but I feel like it needs something.

Julia Jordan
      September 13, 2020 at 8:57 am

David,
      I hope that you’ll give it another try. I take leftover the next day and heat it up and add a bit of cayenne to give it a nice kick and serve over toasted bread. You can season it up however suits your taste. I do recommend milk, the cream in half and half will be richer and cause it to be a little thicker. You can add a bit more liquid however and that would thin it out to your liking.
      ~Julia

David W Griffin
        September 14, 2020 at 10:01 am

Thanks Julia. I tend to eat 1 portion and freeze the rest which for me means combining the pasta and the gravy and freezing so I probably wouldn’t put that on toast, but I might well try the cayenne pepper when I heat up the portions!