In this post I am sharing the recipe for Country Beef Gravy over Buttered Noodles.
This is a simple dinner to make during the busy week. It’s something different to mix things up from the regular hamburger steak and gravy. Buttered Noodles, mmmmmm, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love that.
The creamy beef gravy is a great combo bringing two favorites together. It’s almost like making sausage gravy but using ground beef instead. Some folks refer to this as old fashioned hamburger gravy.
There are some folks who consider this to be S.O.S. chipped beef on toast but I think of that particular dish made with dried beef.
While this dish is by no means a “new” recipe, let me share what gave me the inspiration to make it at home was after a visit to Las Vegas.
My sister in law and I went out to a breakfast place and ordered biscuits and gravy. Expecting sausage gravy, I was surprised when the biscuits were topped with a ground beef gravy instead. It was delicious and we both enjoyed our meal.
While I liked their twist with the gravy biscuits, I think I’ll stick to sausage for mine and use this country beef gravy over buttered noodles or toast or potatoes.
Here’s what you’ll need: (updated August 24, 2020)
- Ground Beef
- Diced Onion
- Ground Black Pepper
- Onion Powder (and any other seasonings that you might enjoy)
- Whole Milk
- Cooked Noodles
- Water for boiling pasta
Hamburger gravy and noodles makes a wonderful family meal. This is one of those recipes that is budget friendly and so delicious. Kids love it too! The creamy beef gravy can be seasoned however you prefer and is so filling served over the pasta.
Creamed beef, tuna, eggs, dried beef along with other staples were a way to stretch ingredients while making a filling meal on a tight budget.
Once you brown your ground beef mixture, keep those fat juices because they’re needed to make the gravy. You can add the flour directly into the cooked beef mixture and stir to combine.
Pasta with Gravy
Ground Beef Gravy
I use whole milk to make this hamburger gravy which makes it nice and creamy. Water could also be used and would create a more brown beefy gravy.
Once your beefy gravy has thickened, give it a taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
Country Beef Gravy and Noodles
The photo above is from back in 2016 (cringe) I felt like the gravy wasn’t thick enough and my photo skills were certainly lacking. It can be difficult to make brown foods look appealing in a photograph. I hope the updates I’m sharing do it justice.
Doesn’t that look good, y’all? It is so yummy! You’re gonna love it for a quick and easy meal. This is one of those dinners that you’ll have on the table in less than half an hour.
Top it with sliced scallions or a bit of parsley if you’d like and serve. I used a few sliced scallions to dress it up a little for new photos.
I’ll share all of the details in the printable recipe card below.
- 1 lb of Ground Chuck Ground Beef
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 1.5 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/3 c Flour
- 1.5 c Milk
- 1 pkg Egg Noodles or Old Fashioned Style Noodles
- 4 tbs Butter
- Water for boiling pasta and salt to add to water
- Heat a medium to large skillet over medium heat; add the ground beef, diced onion and seasonings. Break up the meat as it browns and cook until no longer pink. Do no drain.
- Next, add the flour and stir to incorporate into the beef mixture. Continue to cook while stirring for 2-3 minutes then add the milk. Gently stir to combine and bring to a simmer; cook until gravy is thickened.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Serve over cooked buttered noodles, Toasted Bread or Mashed Potatoes. (Cook pasta according to package directions while preparing the hamburger gravy. Drain and toss with butter.)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Chef Apron for Men, Cooking Apron, Funny Apron, BBQ Apron, 3 Pockets, Bottle Opener, Towel and Gift Box Included, Black 100% Cotton Durable Professional Quality
- Mrs. Millers Old Fashioned Medium Noodles 16oz. Bag (3 Bags)
- Premium Heat Resistant Meat Chopper, Masher & Smasher for Hamburger Meat, Ground Beef, Turkey & More, Hamburger Chopper Utensil, Ground Beef Chopper Tool & Meat Fork - by Zulay Kitchen
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 541Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 136mgSodium: 795mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 37g
- Bratwurst Potatoes and Sauerkraut Skillet Meal
- Meal Plan Monday 234 Fall Green Salad
- Cheddar Garlic Drop Biscuits Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 233 Beef Brisket
- Meal Plan Monday 232 Pound Cake