Dinner/ Featured

Creamed Chipped Beef & Toast – S.O.S.

Creamed chipped beef is a recipe originating in our nation’s military. It became popular outside the military as those who had served craved the dish once home.

Although not all former servicemen remembered it with fondness considering how much they had to eat the very economical meal. It could have been as much as 3 times a day for those away on ships having to ration food.

Officially called creamed chipped beef, it is also more commonly referred to as S.O.S. and remains a popular dish today.

Ingredients

• 4 tbs Butter
  • 1/3 c Flour (all purpose)
  • 3 c Whole Milk
  • Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
  • 4.5 oz Dried Beef, sliced
  • Toasted Texas Toast Bread Slices

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add butter.

When the butter is melted and begins to bubble add the flour and mix to combine. This makes a roux.
Simmer the roux for 2-3 minutes to cook away the raw flour taste.

Add milk and stir or whisk to combine. This makes a white sauce known as Béchamel.

Add cracked black pepper and the chipped beef to the white sauce and simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.

Serve over toasted bread (shingles) , biscuits, or hashbrowns.

Cooks Note: No salt was added to the recipe because the dried beef contains enough salt to flavor the dish.

Creamed Chipped Beef and Toast

Print Recipe

Ingredients

• 4 tbs Butter
  • 1/3 c Flour (all purpose)
  • 3 c Whole Milk
  • Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
  • 4.5 oz Dried Beef, sliced
  • Toasted Texas Toast Bread Slices

Instructions

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add butter.

Simmer the roux for 2-3 minutes to cook away the raw flour taste.

Serve over toasted bread (shingles) , biscuits, or hashbrowns.

See it at:

Creamed Chipped Beef and Toast - SOS - #easyrecipe #budgetfriendly #beef #classic

You Might Also Like

145 Comments

Loufa
    February 16, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I have been making this economical dish for over 50 years. I have tweaked it constantly. My current version includes sauteed mushrooms, slivered roasted red peppers, minced garlic and onion, worcestershire sauce, and a dash of cayenne. I serve this dish over cooked frozen mixed veggies or corn and peas to make it more nutritious. In other words, this basic recipe can be dolled up to be absolutely delicious!

February 16, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Absolutely Loufa! Sounds delicious. You can do so much with a basic white sauce. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Jim
      February 28, 2017 at 8:26 am

Sounds outstanding, but what I need help with is where can I find the beef? Is it something I need to cure myself or can I procure it in a grocery store?

Unknown
      February 28, 2017 at 9:41 am

YOU CAN PURCHASE IN GROCERY IN CANNED MEAT AISLE USUALLY IN A JAR

February 28, 2017 at 11:44 am

That's Correct, Jim. You can find it, usually in a glass jar, located where you would find canned meats – such as tuna, corned beef etc.

Doris
      February 28, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Looks like Buddig pkg meat (Beef).. would that work or not?

James
        March 18, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Too much salt…

October 7, 2018 at 6:47 pm

I always Slice it up, put it in a little bowl of water to soak some of the salt out!! Drain it an proceed with making the sauce.

February 28, 2017 at 2:23 pm

My Mother always used Budding Corned Beef… instead of the dried beef. Yummy!

March 1, 2017 at 5:33 pm

I ALWAYS USE BUDDING CORNED BEEF. MAKE SURE YOU SLICE IT UP AND MAKE STRIPS. IT MAKES IT EASIER TO EAT

Lucinda Head
      March 2, 2017 at 5:02 am

Canned? Ugh. Go to a good butcher.

lil69mikey
      March 2, 2017 at 8:24 am

Buddig is in lunchmeat area/refridge area…also good w/ ground meat beef etc

Jody Hutcheson
      March 4, 2017 at 1:38 am

No Doris budding meet just won't taste the same.

Jody Hutcheson
      March 4, 2017 at 1:43 am

No Doris budding meet just won't taste the same.

Jennifer Mccallister
      March 4, 2017 at 4:42 am

We always use budding and wonder flour

Patricia Lattner
      March 4, 2017 at 2:36 pm

My Dad always made this but used ground beef! Brown the meat and add it to your white sauce!

Uncle chuck
      March 4, 2017 at 10:33 pm

You can sub. Sliced pepper turkey breast and add mushrooms, diced onions and cracked hot red pepper. Yummy

March 5, 2017 at 11:33 pm

I don't know where u live, but I use the dried beef in the lunchmeat & cheese isle

Heather
      March 6, 2017 at 3:17 am

Best dried beef I have ever had is when I purchase at a Dutch market or Amish market! Tastes so much better than that stuff in grocery store and you get way more for your money. Not as salty either.

March 13, 2017 at 3:55 am

Buddig beef has a slightly different taste. Way more economical than true dried beef.

Kim Bassett
      March 29, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Jennifer,We always used Buddig meats. Sometimes regular beef others it was corned beef. If you just simmer the whole mixture a little while longer it really absorbs the meat flavor. That's how my Mom did it.

Kim Bassett
      March 29, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Unknown
      April 12, 2017 at 8:14 pm

When you buy the chipped beef, cut it in strips, soak in Very hot water for a minute or so. This takes out the salty taste. Also a tip given to me by a a Bistro owner years ago is to use a couple of heaping tbsp of cream of mushroom soup in the sauce.

May 11, 2017 at 1:22 am

I GENERALLY USE THE DELI SECTION'S VERSION OF THE DRIED BEEF (ESSKAY/ORANGE PACKAGE!), I AM ALSO KNOWN TO USE SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE TO PUNCH UP THE FLAVOR.

July 6, 2017 at 12:01 am

Here in Philly, the supermarkets will slice it fresh for you! Make sure they "Chip" it! A pound will be enormous, but divide it up in small amounts and then use what you need each time out of the freezer! Dash of cayenne!

August 2, 2017 at 6:27 am

Buddig is the very best to use, should be in the refrigerated /meats , always at the meat dept. just ask anyone in the Meat dept.. I use a lot of different spices, and don't forget the pepper and garlic! I have tried the dried beef in a jar, it had a horrible salty taste and smell. Consider ourselves to be lucky,my late husband was a WWII Navy man, they used to get this every day rain or shine, standing on deck in the rain,he used to say,"You have never tasted S.O.S. with rain in it, quite q delicacy!"

August 3, 2017 at 5:20 pm

I use the Buddig, one can of mushroom soup and half soup can of milk.

Unknown
      August 4, 2017 at 11:53 pm

I've had it using the dried beef, also had it using hamburger, and another alternate…bologna. Yeah, add that old fried bologna flavor in.. yummy

August 6, 2017 at 10:59 pm

I grew up on this. We always called it "dried beef" gravy and put it over toasted white bread. My Mom ALWAYS used dried beef NOT sliced Budding. I don't think budding has the same taste and real dried beef. Just my opinion

Momma Jen
      September 16, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I have been making it for 50 years… and recently switched over to tearing the chipped beef up and simmering it in the milk, prior to adding it to the rue. It really makes it nice and creamy and distributes the salt. Of course, when I make it, I make about quaduple this so there are leftovers.

Served up with Love
    February 22, 2017 at 3:45 pm

This takes me right on back to my childhood. What a great recipe!! Thanks for sharing with us over at Weekend Potluck.

February 23, 2017 at 12:14 pm

You're welcome

March 5, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I buy it in the lunchmeat & cheese isle. Dried beef by eskay

July 4, 2017 at 4:13 am

My parents made this using bologna. Diced and fried. Then added to white sauce. My dad was a cook in the Army.

Mary N
    February 23, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Love this old school throwback!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us all at Weekend Potluck, Julia!!

blbtravel
    February 24, 2017 at 3:10 pm

When I was growing up and careful with pennies my mother also made creamed hard boiled eggs over toast. Does anybody have a recipe or heard of it??

February 24, 2017 at 3:51 pm

You can use this same recipe – instead of the dried beef – just pour the sauce over sliced boiled eggs lined on toast.

Rosemary Gibson
      February 24, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Yes I make this for my mom all the time, we call it creamed eggs, she also has me add canned peas. She also likes it on toast

February 24, 2017 at 9:36 pm

I believe the dish you are describing is called Eggs Goldenrod. The white part of the hard boiled egg is chopped in a coarse chop, stirred in the white sauce, served over toast or biscuits and topped with the yolk of the hard boiled egg, crumbled over the top. I have found the recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook.

February 25, 2017 at 7:30 am

creamed eggs on toast! My mom made this for us on cold winter days when I was a kid. Geez, a long time ago! But I still make it to this day for myself.

Mique
      February 28, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Loved creamed eggs….also had creamed cod fish….has anyone heard of that

February 28, 2017 at 10:47 pm

I haven't seen it with cod Mique but makes sense since some people use tuna

March 1, 2017 at 12:25 pm

It is a New England dish called Creamed Fin&Haddie. Use salted Cod with a white sauce and hard boiled eggs.

Karla Schroedl
      March 1, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Eggs Goldenrod is the egg version….used to mke it sll the time…learned over 50 yewrs ago when I was in 4=H. It was in their cookbook, but it essentially SOS with Eggs added after the sauce is cooked.

March 2, 2017 at 12:58 am

There is a creamed ham and eggs over toast…it's pretty good. Same as yours but with ham.in the Betty crocker cook books.

lil69mikey
      March 2, 2017 at 8:26 am

x-wife used to do creamed tuna also over toast…am betting cream of mushroom was involved

Rosebud
    February 24, 2017 at 8:39 pm

I love S.O.S.! That stands for Sh-t on a Shingle, as the guys in the Army used to refer to it. I've made it so much that now my husband doesn't want me to make it anymore which saddens me. Guess I'll have to make it for myself. As bibtravel says above, I've also made it and included hard boiled eggs, maybe some petite peas and sometimes even a couple drops of Worchestershire sauce. Making me hungry for some right now. Have two jars of the dried beef on my shelf right now, just waiting to be made into this or SOS Dip.

February 25, 2017 at 3:24 pm

🙂 Thanks for stopping by Rosebud.

Wendy
      February 26, 2017 at 3:49 am

My husband was in the Navy and won't eat this. That's okay with me. I make it for me whenever he is away and eat it ALL myself! So good!

March 14, 2017 at 12:34 pm

You can also use Bob Evans sausage. I fry the sausage and add the flour to brown in the sausage grease, when a bit brown add milk to firm. Make biscuits and serve! Yummy!

Caroline R Bain
    February 24, 2017 at 8:51 pm

This was a favorite that my Aunt made for us when we were there for lunch. Always loved it, must get a jar of the Chipped Beef soon!

February 25, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Thanks for sharing your happy memory Caroline. 🙂

lil69mikey
      March 2, 2017 at 8:28 am

Jars are mega expensive…use Buddig in lunchmeat area

March 5, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Buddig doesn't have much taste to me. I used to live in Wisconsin where you could get dried beef from all the butcher shops. That was the best there is. The jars are so salty, but I would think you could soak it in cold water for awhile like we do with half a ham to get some of the salt out. I also think the salt is some of what makes the S.O.S taste to good though.

Irish Fancy
      October 10, 2017 at 12:31 am

Someone said to make sure the butcher chipped the beef, can someone explain that? I live in Ireland and we don't have the dried or chipped beef here. (I brought a jar back when last we were home). I may have to explain what I mean by chipped, so can someone explain it to me? Thank you.

Julia
      October 10, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Irish Fancy -maybe this will be helpful "Chipped beef is a form of pressed, salted and dried beef that has been sliced into thin pieces. Some makers smoke the dried beef for more flavor. "

February 24, 2017 at 9:08 pm

To get the most flavor from your beef – before adding your flour, saute the beef in the butter until it starts to frizzle, then add your flour and other ingredients.
    You get a lot better flavor with this method.

February 24, 2017 at 11:55 pm

That's the way I've ways made mine. Melt the butter along with the meat, then stir in the flour. Add the milk and stir until smooth and thick. Serve on white toast. We always had whole kernel corn and boiled, buttered potatoes with fresh parsley. Very good meal, and inexpensive meal.

Rosemary Gibson
    February 24, 2017 at 9:27 pm

blbtravel, yes I make this for my mom all the time, we call it creamed eggs, she also has me add canned peas.

Rita
    February 24, 2017 at 11:07 pm

This took me back to my childhood in Chicago. My mother would whip this up but would add peas to the recipe to make it more nutritious. Also, she toasted the bread and buttered it before covering it with the "sauce." Pure comfort food on a budget.

February 25, 2017 at 12:35 am

In our house, SOS was hamburger meat and gravy on toast. i've never heard of using chipped beef, someone mentioned it being in a jar. Is it near the lunch meats, or where is it? I am very anxious to try it

Robin Helbich
      February 25, 2017 at 1:03 am

Probably find it by spam or tuna

Rosemary Gibson
      February 25, 2017 at 1:47 am

Some people use Amour dry beef (in jars or now in pouches) I like this, but it tends to be very salty. Some people use Budding Sliced Beef in the lunch meat area of the grocery. Both are good.

Rosemary Gibson
      February 25, 2017 at 1:48 am

regarding where in the grocery the Amour dry beef is. As Robin said in the canned meat aisle. Usually on the top shelf

Kris Philpot
      February 25, 2017 at 3:05 pm

If the Armour dried beef is too salty try parboiling for a minute. I prefer the Buddig beef but it's in the refrigerated packaged meat dept. I keep the Armour on hand because it's shelf stable.

February 25, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Thanks for the tip Kris!

July 27, 2017 at 2:40 am

My mama made it with hamburger, and called it a Poormans SOS ,because hamburger was cheaper than the beef. Yummy too, but I love the chipped beef. And had used tuna, yummy. Around here sausage gravy on biscuits is every ones dream, I Love mine on hashbrowns.

February 25, 2017 at 3:27 pm

I've heard of this, but never had it I'd like to try making it (with a few tweaks). What is dried beef, and where in the supermarket would I find it? Is it in a can or a jar?

February 25, 2017 at 5:41 pm

My dad used make it with hamburger instead. It is so good.

February 28, 2017 at 11:38 am

It comes in a small glass jar. Usually in the area where you find canned meats such as tuna, corned beef etc

Sharon Griffin
      March 2, 2017 at 2:56 pm

In High School we made it with hamburger. That was like over 50yrs ago lol. But very good.

March 3, 2017 at 4:36 pm

People please go to the meat counter at the grocery store and get fresh dried beef from them. You don't need a lot and yes it is expensive.

Irish Fancy
      October 10, 2017 at 12:35 am

My mom use to make this once in a while and I always loved it. My father, brother and both husbands were in the Navy and only one will eat it now.

Mary LaFountain
    February 26, 2017 at 12:01 am

A childhood favorite. Mom included hard boiled eggs with the chipped beef. On buttered toast…yumm!

judy kozbiel
    February 26, 2017 at 12:01 am

We also made a meat free SOS,quick and cheap. 1 can cream of mushroom soup,1 can of tuna,heat till hot,add 1 can of peas drained. Serve on toast.
    Ready in 5 minutes.

Denise
      February 28, 2017 at 3:49 pm

We called that tuna pea wiggle
      So good!

February 27, 2017 at 1:52 am

I make this a lot. Sometimes I use hamburger, sliced thinly hot dogs, or even finely chopped fried bologna. Delicious.

February 28, 2017 at 2:05 am

Can of Tuna, gravy over toast during Lent…memories

jan
    February 28, 2017 at 4:19 am

I saute a little chopped onion in the butter before adding the flour and then the milk and the beef. (sometimes I add the beef to the butter and onion)

February 28, 2017 at 4:53 am

Thanks for the share. My mom made this during our growing years quite often (there were 10 of us kids). Hubby and I still like it, but is there a way to lower the sodium content drastically? Maybe soak the canned beef, drain, soak again, drain, etc.? Not good for folks with hypertension. I do miss it, though. Thanks so much if you can share options.

February 28, 2017 at 11:41 am

Soaking the dried beef does reduce the sodium, just like you would country ham. You can also use 1 lb of cooked hamburger instead of the dried beef.

Christianna Long
    February 28, 2017 at 5:01 am

My mom always frizzled the beef first…omg…so good… I now do the same!

February 28, 2017 at 7:36 am

I like to use the Buddig Corn Beef in the packages. Has a better flavor than just the beef flavor. Been making this stuff for years. Same as my moms recipe. I miss the SOS I used to eat while in the service.

February 28, 2017 at 6:30 pm

How many people would this recipe feed?

Laurie
    March 1, 2017 at 1:38 am

My mom used to but hard boiled eggs (cut to bite sized pieces) and peas in this and it was yummy, making it for myself soon as my family would be ick. Lol

Evon S.
    March 1, 2017 at 6:56 am

My Mom always made this using Buddig Chipped Beef and she added peass.

Evon S.

March 1, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I usually brown my dried beef with the butter in the pan first….then add the milk and flour (I use corn starch) to thicken. Dried beef can also be found in packets. I use Knauss brand dried beef!! Enjoy….love this dish since childhood as well.

March 1, 2017 at 7:55 pm

So nice to hear all of the fond memories and variations for this dish. Thank you for stopping by.

jp rollins
    March 1, 2017 at 3:21 pm

I made this for my grandchildren one morning as a surprise for them and about 6 or 8 friends who had spent the night..They called it beef gravy instead of sausage gravy and they all loved it. I called it S.O.S (but only once) and I would never explain what it mean't.
    As a child during WWII my mom would also save the glass jars for juice glasses.

March 1, 2017 at 7:54 pm

HaHa, I don't explain it either JP 😉

Belinda
      August 12, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Those were our juice jars as well! The problem with the jar meat today is it changed. It's not the same site dried salted beef. The Amish sell the same air dried chipped beef, thankfully.

March 1, 2017 at 5:23 pm

I'm 80 and I remember this from my childhood

March 1, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Thank you for sharing. I love how food brings back wonderful memories for all of us.

gary huntingdon pa
    March 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Some people use half and half instead of whole milk and also sausage gravy instead of using chipped beef fry up sausage loose to make the gravy either way it's great

neogeezer
    March 1, 2017 at 8:15 pm

I grew up in DC and we had this all the time. I haven't had it for a long while. I also like to slice hard cooked eggs on top, and to crisp the beef in the butter before adding the flour. Gotta remember this for next football season.

March 2, 2017 at 4:12 am

We love creamed chipped beef! Just had it last night for dinner. Grandpa was a cook in the military, so we had a lot of that type of meals growing up. Although I must admit it drives me nuts when people call chipped beef S.O.S. lol. Chipped Beef is chipped beef. S.O.S. is hamburger in white gravy on toast. Sausage gravy is sausage in white gravy on biscuits or whatever. Different things lol! If I want chipped beef, I don't want S.O.S. and if I want S.O.S. I don't want chipped beef. Both were things grandpa learned to make in the military, and they were two different things there as well.

March 2, 2017 at 10:42 pm

I make it with ham or even hamburger. My family loves it. My mom use to make it all the time with hamburger.

March 3, 2017 at 2:40 am

I use Buddig corned beef or corned beef from the deli, ans also add frozen peas, and hard boiled eggs. I also make it with just blanched, fresh asparagus. Iserve it over toasted English muffins, but cheddar cheese biscuits would also be good.

March 3, 2017 at 5:18 am

This was one of my favorites growing up, my mother made it with Buddig Corned Beef she added a drained can of peas and some cut up hard boiled eggs.

Karen Laws
    March 3, 2017 at 11:10 pm

You have all convinced me, lol. What a great idea for an eady friday night dinner!
    Thanks for posting this recipe!

Unknown
    March 4, 2017 at 2:56 am

USMC only made it with ground beef. That canned stuff is full of salt. The Sgt. Major (my husband) taught me how to make this and my 9 y/o grandson has been making it for breakfast for us. Try with ground beef and I bet you will like it so much better, h

Wendy
    March 4, 2017 at 10:38 am

I made this for a friend with ground beef and she got positively choked up! Said it reminded her of her Dad who was a Marine. She asked me to make it for her from time to time. I usually do it with chipped beef from the jar, but I'm glad i tried it with hamburger because I now love THAT also! I have enjoyed the comments from everyone. I had forgotten about creamed tuna on toast and creamed eggs on toast! I will add those back into my rotation as well. Thanks everyone!

March 4, 2017 at 11:20 am

Yes use the Knauss brand or get from the butcher shop. We also brown it in butter than coat with flour and add milk. But not regular milk, we use canned milk! Add equal parts of water till desired thickness. I stay on the side of less water more canned milk. Our family says its better thann using whole milk from frig! We serve over toast or fried potatoes with onions and our side is baked beans!

March 4, 2017 at 2:29 pm

I make it with ground beef. And we call it poop on a roof!

March 4, 2017 at 5:10 pm

For those who want to experience the taste of childhood but don't have the time nor inclination to make this recipe, Stouffer's makes an excellent facsimile…in your grocer's freezer.

Unknown
      March 26, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I have had to stoffers and I have made it from scratch. I use corn starch to make the gravy instead of flour. I'm a diabetic and corn starch does not affect my blood sugar as much as flour does.

Jeanne Brandenburg
    March 6, 2017 at 3:26 am

I serve it on mashed potatoes or rice! A childhood favorite!!

PatsyPorco
    March 6, 2017 at 7:14 pm

This is very popular in Philly, where I grew up. My dad always served it with scrambled eggs and fried potatoes with onion. Yum.

March 7, 2017 at 6:08 am

My dad was a cook in the air force and didn't want anything to do with it but we did have creamed beef same but with hamburger great over mashed potatoes

March 13, 2017 at 1:40 am

My Mom used to make this for my Dad with browned ground beef.

March 19, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Coming from a family of 10, we had this a lot…we called it creamed corned beef on toast. My parents used the canned corned beef(open w/key). Served on buttered white toast. Served with peas and hardboiled eggs on the side…for those who didn't want eggs or peas or either one. I love this!!! My 45 yr
    old niece asks me to make it often! I'm the "only one who makes it like Gramma & Grandpa!" ������

June 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I use buddig, I use ground beef, I use ham…How stupid the comments….It is shit on a shingle, made with dried beef, not your other slop receipes…stupid people, you need to stay outa the kitchen………..

June 7, 2017 at 5:39 am

To start with when I make Cream Beef I use a 8 quart pot, my family loves cream beef on toast. Instead of butter I use lard or vegetable oil with flour and about 1 gallon of milk and half gallon of water and 6 pk. of Budding or other brand of thin sliced beef or sliced corned beef, occasionally use Armor dried beef when budding and other packaged beef is not available and salt and pepper to taste and always have 2 loaves of bread available this usually feeds 6 to 10 people my two sons could routinely eat 6 to 8 slices of toast with cream beef. Any left over is put in fridge and heated the next morning usually have to add some milk to thin it while heating. Occasionally I use 2 pk. of Pioneer brand country gravy mix and follow instructions to prepare substituting milk for 1/2 of the water and 1 or 2 pk. of beef. McCormic makes a country gravy mix but I don't know how good it is. I put the packages of beef in the freezer for a little bit and that makes it easier to slice.

June 9, 2017 at 1:55 pm

The Budding beef is inexpensive and no where near the SALT content of the dried chip beef in a jar. Tastes the same when making creamed chipped beef on toast.

June 11, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I love this stuff! I agree with people who posted about Carl Budding vs dried beef in a jar. The jar dried beef waaaaaaaaaay salty. The Carl Budding has a lot of sodium because it's processed, but it's a bit easier on the palate. Carl Budding is located with the lunch meat in the refrigerator case for those who aren't familiar with it.

June 14, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Please try this with bacon drippings, instead of butter… so much better!

roxielhinoh
    June 19, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Always called it dried beef gravy fry the beef in hot butter to start serve over bread not toast or crackers now tuna gravy was always served on toast and only when dad wasn't home(he couldn't stand any fish) when son was home I would make it and put it in a slow cooker everybody ate at a different time

July 4, 2017 at 11:25 am

My husband asked me to make this for dinner one night. He said, call mom to get the recipe. I did and it was delicious! I think I'm having some for breakfast….im suddenly hungry! Lol! Happy 4th!

Julia
      July 5, 2017 at 12:28 pm

🙂 I hope you enjoyed your 4th also!

July 4, 2017 at 2:48 pm

That's a great memory. I had this every morning at the mess hall when I was in the US Army! Great stuff!

Julia
      July 5, 2017 at 12:29 pm

I'm glad your have fond memories of this dish! Thank you for your service as well.

July 7, 2017 at 7:59 pm

It's not just a memory – I make both of these all the time. I use dried beef from the deli and saute it in butter, add flour and cook a few minutes and then add the milk. I like this over mashed potatoes and then the next morning I have it over buttered toast. The eggs on the golden rod is served over buttered toast also. I make a white sauce and add the chopped egg whites, mash the yolks and sprinkle over the top.

M H Bonczkowski
    July 22, 2017 at 9:27 pm

My mom made this (or similar version replacing beef with hard-boiled eggs or can of tuna) a lot while we were growing up. I don't think I made it for my kids though (all grown and living on their own now)–had kind of forgotten about it.

July 25, 2017 at 5:56 am

Creamed dried beef is the best! I now use it over Zucchini Fritters and it is great of them. I have used this recipe for about 55 yrs and it still tastes great! I usually triple this small recipe and it seems to taste even better on day 2! Thanks for posting!

August 3, 2017 at 7:02 pm

This was one of the very first things my Mother taught me to cook back in the early 60's. We would, of course, save the jars and those were juice glasses for the family. Once you know how to make a roux and then a Béchamel well then espagnole, velouté, and allemande are a snap and darn tasty.

Lisa Wilson
      August 13, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Juice glasses…great idea,I will steal that,thanks!!!

Bearley Darwin D
    August 5, 2017 at 8:47 pm

For an extra rich version, try adding cream cheese to the roux. It's yummy…

David Gegenhuber
    August 15, 2017 at 1:20 am

for added appeal and flavor, I add chopped green onion (about a tablespoon per serving)

Emily
    August 31, 2017 at 11:57 am

The fundamental detail to stick to is the best possible method for delivering the garlic bread on beef toast.

October 4, 2017 at 3:35 pm

I wish you all could try it with delicious Pella Iowa meat market actual dried beef! It IS amazing! I do believe the meat markets here will send it out.

carol
    October 6, 2017 at 8:28 pm

I've been eating and making this dish forever. I use Buddig Corned Beef. Usually add a can of drained peas. And when I feel "rich", I buy Pillsbury Grands Biscuits. Our son now makes it for his sons.

Just Me
    February 7, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Anonymous bought back memories I forgot mom and I always used canned milk am making tonight to share with friends we are WW II era the taste is yummy my mouth watering waiting for dinner Thanks For The Memories

Michelle
    March 9, 2018 at 11:37 am

Can you tell me how many people this recipe feeds?

Julia Jordan
      March 9, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Depending on appetite – 4 adults, if there’s a mix it can be up to 6.

Michelle
        March 9, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Thank you! I used to have this as a kid and decided to search for it so I can make it for my kids. Can’t wait to make it! 🙂

Julia Jordan
          March 9, 2018 at 2:54 pm

I’m glad you found the recipe here 🙂 I hope you enjoy it!

sandra
    November 8, 2018 at 11:57 am

My mom made this for our breakfast on special holidays..It was a tradition. We ate is over biscits..II grew up with those glass jars as our drinking glasses.

Julia Jordan
      November 8, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memory!