In this post I’m sharing a down home favorite. The Carolina Slaw Dog Recipe.
There is something truly comforting about foods that you’ve grown up. I remember everyone meeting up at the famous local hot dog shop to order their hot dog just how they like it.
There are many ways to top a hot dog. It’s likely that the way you prefer yours depends on where you come from.
How do you prefer your hot dogs?
There are three ways that are my top favorites that include all the way (chili, mustard and onions), a slaw dog (those same toppings with the addition of coleslaw) and a chili bun (just a bun with chili and mayo).
South Carolina Hot Dog
The coleslaw suited for topping a hot dog or sandwich is tangy and a bit intense in flavor. When combined with the spicy chili or a barbecue it mellows out into the perfect bite of deliciousness.
Carolina Hot Dog Slaw
The coleslaw recipe in this post is a small batch with a bit of a flavor boosting twist that you’ll enjoy. It’s perfect for making ahead and chilling in the fridge to let all of those flavors mingle.
The base for a slaw dog must begin with the “all the way” style hot dog topped with famous chili.
The coleslaw is easy to put together. It starts with hand grated cabbage, grated carrots, a bit of onion and some dill pickle salad cubes.
If you prefer sweet pickles then go ahead and use that instead.
Next is making a creamy buttermilk dressing for the coleslaw. A bit of buttermilk, a splash of vinegar and mayonnaise is combined with seasonings to perfectly flavor your slaw.
Do y’all see that little twist I’ve added to this dressing?
That’s right! A bit of Everything Bagel seasoning in this dressing adds a flavor boost that is so good y’all!
Add that creamy dressing to your coleslaw veggies and mix it all together. Be sure to give it a taste for seasoning and adjust to suit your taste if needed.
There is a pinch of sugar in this recipe which enhances the flavors in the dressing.
I know a lot of folks prefer a sweeter coleslaw. If you do then add a little more sugar til it suits you.
We prefer a tangy savory flavor so I just add a bit to enhance those flavors the way we like it.
While we’re on the subject of Southern style dogs, have y’all ever had a Southern Bird Dog Sandwich? It’s a local favorite, give it a try!
Carolina Slaw Dog Recipe
Do y’all like a side with your hot dogs? By the way, no, you can’t eat just one hot dog.
- 8 Hot Dog Wieners (boiled or grilled)
- 8 Hot Dog Buns
- 1/2 Diced Yellow Onion (for toppings)
- Yellow Mustard
- Southern Hot Dog Chili Sauce (link in post for recipe)
Carolina Hot Dog Slaw Recipe
- 2 c Hand Grated Green Cabbage
- 1/2 c Freshly Grated Carrot
- 1/2 c Finely Diced Onion
- 1/4 c Dill Salad Cubes
- 1/2 c Mayonnaise
- 2 tbs Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (white vinegar works too)
- 1 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Everything Bagel Seasoning (optional)
- Add the grated cabbage, carrot, onion and pickle to a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and seasonings together then pour over the cabbage mixture, stir to combine. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- To assemble slaw dogs; place a wiener in a hot dog bun and top with mustard, onion and chili sauce the top with coleslaw.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Corona Hot Dog Grill Basket – Sizzling Sausage Grill Baskets for Outdoor Grill with Handle as Perfect Grilling Bbq Gift Basket for Tailgates, Camping, Backyard Parties
Checkered Deli Basket Liner, 12 X 12 Inches, Red and White, 100 Count
Fast Food Baskets Restaurant Serving for Bread Chicken Sandwiches Hamburgers Fries 10.5 x 7 Inch Set of 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 451Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 713mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 14g
- Macaroni and Tomatoes Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 227 Vegetable Lasagna
- Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- Southern Speckled Butter Beans Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 226 | Julia’s Simply Southern
This recipe has been proudly shared at Weekend Potluck.