In this post I’ll be sharing how a Classic Tuna Melt Recipe.
I’m not sure about you but I love a delicious tuna melt from time to time. To be specific, an open faced English muffin tuna melt. It’s a favorite lunch for us and easy to prepare at home.
What’s not to love about a tuna melt? It’s like getting your classic tuna salad sandwich upgraded. A tuna melt is topped with a slice of vine ripened tomato (or not), a slice of cheese (cheddar is my preference) then toasted in the oven.
A tuna melt can also be grilled as a toasted sandwich. I’ve even seen the tuna salad placed into an artfully cut tomato half topped with cheese.
Best Open Faced Tuna Melt Recipe
Besides for making a tuna melt, canned tuna is a great pantry staple to keep on hand. It can be used to make a variety of delicious meals, such as tuna cakes or Creamed Tuna on Toast.
All are classic budget friendly recipes that have stood the test of time.
Be sure to use the best quality tuna (packed in water) that fits your budget.
Easy Lunch Recipe
The first step to preparing a classic tuna melt recipe is making a delicious tuna salad. It is the star of the show after all.
This tuna salad recipe variation is very similar to my best tuna salad recipe that I use for cold sandwiches but a little different.
Easy Canned Tuna Recipe
It is seasoned perfectly, to suit our tastes, or you can adjust to suit your own as needed.
I love the hint of spice from the addition of Old Bay Seasoning and the dill. The great thing about this simple salad is that you can give it a taste and adjust the seasonings if needed before assembling the melts to go into the oven.
The tuna salad is perfectly creamy which works so well on a toasted open face style sandwich.
You’ll want to pop your English muffins in the toaster and brown before topping with your salad mixture. It gives them a nice crunch.
After they are toasted, place them on a lined baking sheet the top with your freshly made tuna salad.
Next you’ll place a beautiful slice of tomato on top of the tuna salad. I have a confession to make. I’m not fond of tomatoes but the hubs is so he gets those all for himself.
The next part may very well be my most favorite of all….topping the tuna melts with slices of cheddar cheese.
I cannot recall if I’ve mentioned it before but I am a certified self-proclaimed cheese-aholic. Seriously! Cheese is my favorite food of all. Swoon.
Your open faced tuna melts are ready for the oven (which you’ll want to have preheated and ready to go).
You’ll be enjoying your delicious lunch in about ten minutes time.
Below you will find all of the steps to make these delicious tuna melts in the printable recipe card.
- 2 - 4.6 oz Canned Tuna packed in water, drained well
- 1 Hard Boiled Egg, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 c Mayonnaise
- 1/4 c Finely Diced Celery
- 1 Small Shallot, diced
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Dried Dill (or 1/2 tbs Dill Pickle Salad Cubes)
- Salt & Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 Ripe Slicing Tomato
- 8 Thin Deli Cheddar Cheese Slices
- 2 English Muffins (4 halves), Toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Toast the English Muffins in a toaster then place on a lined baking sheet.
- Prepare the tuna salad mixture: In a mixing bowl; combine the tuna, boiled egg, mayonnaise, celery, shallot and seasonings together until combined. Give a quick taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Use a scoop or spoon to place equal portions of the tuna salad mixture on top of the toasted English muffins. Place a tomato slice on top of the salad mixture. Finally top with cheddar slices.
- Bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with scallions, if desired, and serve hot.
Depending on appetite and how the tuna melts are served; a serving might be 1 melt (half an English muffin) if served with a side. You could also serve 2 melts, or both halves, of the English muffin as the meal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 600Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 670mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
- Meal Plan Monday 228
- Macaroni and Tomatoes Recipe
- Meal Plan Monday 227 Vegetable Lasagna
- Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- Southern Speckled Butter Beans Recipe
Check out this recipe for Easy Shrimp Salad Sandwiches from Soulfully Made.
You can also see the tuna melt recipe shared at Weekend Potluck.