In this post I’m sharing how to make a classic Macaroni and Tomatoes Recipe.
Y’all, this is one of those old times dishes that has carried on and still loved by many. Some would even consider it a comfort food.
This macaroni tomato recipe began back in the depression era. Times were tough for families and stretching out meals was necessity.
The macaroni and tomatoes would have been the main meal for many families or a side dish that could last for several days.
This is one of those very simple recipes and can certainly be customized to suit your own tastes with additional ingredients.
With as few as three ingredients, you’ve got yourself a tasty pasta side.
I’ve read stories of mothers and grandmothers who would make this and sometimes add onion, diced spam, or ground beef. Bellies were full no matter how simple the meal.
Classic Macaroni and Tomatoes Recipe
Now I must go ahead and confess that I do one little extra thing to my macaroni and tomatoes recipe that most probably do not. That doesn’t mean that it’s not right. It’s just how I like it.
My motto happens to be, the right way to make a recipe is how you like it.
So before anyone yells at me for not doing it right (the way you do it), I like to add a little bit of a thickening slurry at the end to thicken up those tomato juices.
It really coats the pasta better, in my humble opinion. That is totally optional and you certainly do not have to do it.
Diced Tomatoes Side Dish
One consensus among cooks is that this dish requires a little bit of bacon grease. I whole heartily agree!
The bacon grease add another layer of flavor and a bit of smokiness. I keep a jar of bacon grease in my refrigerator at all times. It is the star ingredient to many recipes.
This one pot dish is really easy to make. With as few ingredients as the elbow macaroni, bacon grease, a can of diced tomatoes and some salt & pepper you’ve got the makings of a fine meal.
I add a pinch of sugar to enhance the flavors. Just a pinch does the trick. There is no need to go making a sweet pasta side dish.
Embellish the recipe further however you like. You’re the home chef at your house and you’ll be the one eating it after all.
Below in the printable recipe card I’m sharing how I make this dish. I’m going through it step by step and giving you the list of ingredients you’ll need.
This tried and true humble dish turns out perfect every time.
- 8 oz Box of Elbow Macaroni (about 2 c, uncooked)
- 1 tbs Bacon Grease
- 28 oz Can of Petite Diced Tomatoes, with the juices
- Salt, to taste
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar (optional)
- 2 tbs Cold Water
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- Cook the macaroni pasta according to box directions; drain well.
- While the pasta drains, return the pot to the stove (over medium heat); add bacon grease and melt then and canned diced tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the tomato mixture. Season with salt, pepper, and pinch of sugar. Stir until heated through.
- Next, if using the thickening slurry; combine the cornstarch with cold water and add the pot. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the juices are thickened (about 10 minutes).
This side dish can be kept simple or other ingredients such as diced onion, basil, garlic, ground beef or diced spam could be added to make it a meal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
UKOKE Garden Tool Set, 12 Piece Aluminum Hand Tool Kit, Garden Canvas Apron with Storage Pocket, Outdoor Tool, Heavy Duty Gardening Work Set with Ergonomic Handle, Gardening Tools for women men
Wooden Spoons, 6 Pieces 9 Inch Wood Soup Spoons for Eating Mixing Stirring, Long Handle Spoon with Japanese Style Kitchen Utensil, ADLORYEA Eco Friendly Table Spoon
Classic Kitchen Towels I Love Gardening from My Head Tomatoes Funny Food Pun Funny Dish Towels with Sayings Set of 2 Multipurpose Blue Stripe Towels
Serving Size:0.5 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 95Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
- Down Home Southern Large Lima Butter Beans Recipe
- Easy Creamy Salmon Pasta Salad Recipe
- Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe with Raisins and Coconut
- Canned Turkey Stuffing Casserole Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe
- Sautéed Fresh Green Beans Recipe with Garlic and Bacon
- Easy Crock Pot Cornbread Dressing Recipe
I know that you’ll enjoy this delicious side as generations of families have.
If you try it, please stop by and let me know how you enjoyed it. I love hearing from you.
You might also enjoy this recipe for Baked Tomato Mozzarella Melts from Southern Plate.