In this post I’m sharing an easy Classic Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe.
It is truly easy to make your own homemade pimento cheese. Pimento cheese is one of those refrigerator staples that can be used a variety of ways.
I’m sure we’ve all had our fair share of pimento cheese sandwiches. This tasty cheesy spread is also great on crackers, as a topping for burgers, stuffed into celery or baked right into your biscuits. Just to name a few.
Classic pimento cheese is pretty basic with just a hint of a spicy kickback.
If you’ve been following the blog for a while then you may have seen my Southern Caviar Pimento Cheese recipe. That recipe is also delicious but a bit more involved with more ingredients such as a variety of cheeses, cream cheese and is a bit more costly to make.
So we’re taking it back to the basics here with this simple recipe that is beloved to many.
Delicious Easy Pimento Cheese
What is pimento cheese made of? The basic recipe is cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, pimentos and a few dashes of cayenne pepper.
What are pimentos? Pimentos are a mild pepper.
How long does homemade pimento cheese last? Your homemade pimento cheese will last up to 3 weeks stored in the refrigerator.
Best Homemade Pimento Cheese
Pimento cheese is also handy during the holidays for appetizers or to be jarred for homemade food gifts.
Have you ever tried using pimento cheese for your grilled cheese sandwiches? It’s amazing! Perfect with a bowl of homemade tomato soup.
Simple Pimento Cheese Spread
Oh, before I forget….when making your pimento cheese, don’t mix it to death. You want to recognize the freshly grated cheese strands so just mix it enough to combine the ingredients.
Below, you’ll find all the measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card.
- 16 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 4 oz Diced Pimentos, drained well
- 1 c Mayonnaise
- Pinch of Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Grate your cheese and place into a mixing bowl. (Yes, it's a must to grate your own cheese)
- Add the drained pimentos, seasonings and mayonnaise to the grated cheese.
- Gently mix to combine the ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
This recipe will make 24 tea sandwiches or about 6 regular sandwiches.
Pimento cheese may also be used as an ingredient in recipes or as an appetizer spread. See post for more details.
Serving Size:Around 2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 376mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
- Meal Plan Monday 203 Breakfast Spaghetti
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes with Horseradish
- Meal Plan Monday 202 Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Low Carb Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Meal Plan Monday 201 – Walking Taco Bar
Thank you for stopping by! I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.