In this post I’m sharing an easy Classic Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe.
It is truly easy to make your own homemade pimento cheese. Pimento cheese is one of those refrigerator staples that can be used a variety of ways.
I’m sure we’ve all had our fair share of pimento cheese sandwiches. This tasty cheesy spread is also great on crackers, as a topping for burgers, stuffed into celery or baked right into your biscuits. Just to name a few.
Classic pimento cheese is pretty basic with just a hint of a spicy kickback.
If you’ve been following the blog for a while then you may have seen my Southern Caviar Pimento Cheese recipe. That recipe is also delicious but a bit more involved with more ingredients such as a variety of cheeses, cream cheese and is a bit more costly to make.
So we’re taking it back to the basics here with this simple recipe that is beloved to many.
Delicious Easy Pimento Cheese
What is old fashioned pimento cheese made of? The basic recipe is cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, pimentos and a few dashes of cayenne pepper.
What are pimentos? Pimentos are a mild pepper.
How long does homemade pimento cheese last? Your homemade pimento cheese will last up to 3 weeks stored in the refrigerator.
Best Homemade Pimento Cheese
Pimento cheese is also handy during the holidays for appetizers or to be jarred for homemade food gifts.
Have you ever tried using pimento cheese for your grilled cheese sandwiches? It’s amazing! Perfect with a bowl of homemade tomato soup.
Simple Pimento Cheese Spread
Oh, before I forget….when making your pimento cheese, don’t mix it to death. You want to recognize the freshly grated cheese strands so just mix it enough to combine the ingredients.
Below, you’ll find all the measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card. Let’s make a batch of this Classic Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe.
- 16 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 4 oz Diced Pimentos, drained well
- 1 c Mayonnaise
- Pinch of Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Grate your cheese and place into a mixing bowl. (Yes, it's a must to grate your own cheese)
- Add the drained pimentos, seasonings and mayonnaise to the grated cheese.
- Gently mix to combine the ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
This recipe will make 24 tea sandwiches or about 6 regular sandwiches.
Pimento cheese may also be used as an ingredient in recipes or as an appetizer spread. See post for more details.
Serving Size:Around 2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 376mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
What to Serve with Pimento Cheese?
When you’re serving up that creamy, cheesy goodness old fashioned pimento cheese spread, you wanna make sure it’s surrounded by some southern loving. Y’all know I’ve got some tasty suggestions up my sleeve, so here goes:
- Crackers: Serve your pimento cheese with an assortment of crackers, such as buttery Ritz crackers
- Vegetables: Fresh vegetable dippers like celery sticks, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, and bell pepper strips are a healthy and refreshing choice.
- Pretzels: Pretzel rods or pretzel crisps provide a satisfying crunch that complements the creamy pimento cheese.
- Toasted Sandwiches: Spread pimento cheese on bread and grill it for a mouthwatering grilled cheese sandwich. Add some crispy bacon or thinly sliced tomato for extra flavor.
- Crudité Platter: Create a colorful vegetable platter with a variety of fresh veggies and serve the pimento cheese as a dip or spread.
- Potato Chips: Classic potato chips or kettle-cooked chips make for a delightful and crunchy pairing.
Fried Green Tomatoes: Serve pimento cheese atop fried green tomato slices for a southern-inspired treat.
Remember, the options are endless, and you can get as creative as you like when serving pimento cheese. It’s all about what tickles your taste buds!
Check out the Latest Posts
- Down Home Southern Large Lima Butter Beans Recipe
- Easy Creamy Salmon Pasta Salad Recipe
- Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe with Raisins and Coconut
- Canned Turkey Stuffing Casserole Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe
- Sautéed Fresh Green Beans Recipe with Garlic and Bacon
Popular on the Blog
- Homemade Country White Gravy Recipe
- Easy Baked Cubed Beef Steaks
- Classic Southern Meatloaf Recipe
- Traditional Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- Southern Purple Hull Peas
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Creamed Chipped Beef and Toast
- Julia’s Southern Hot Dog Chili Sauce
In conclusion, whether you’re enjoying pimento cheese as a classic Southern spread or experimenting with innovative pairings, the key is to savor every bite.
This creamy, cheesy delight has a way of bringing comfort and flavor to any occasion. So, gather your loved ones, explore different serving ideas, and let the joy of pimento cheese add a touch of Southern charm to your table.
Here’s to good company, great food, and the simple pleasures that make life so delicious!
Thank you for stopping by! I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.