In this post I am sharing my Ultimate Green Bean Casserole recipe.
Hey Y’all! Easter dinner is coming up soon and you might be thinking of adding a green bean casserole to your menu. This classic dish is a favorite for holidays and celebrations.
I’ve worked to update my original green bean casserole, which I did consider to be a flavored up version. I’d always considered green bean casserole to be bland.
So here we are a few years later and I’ve perfected this casserole so that it is not only delicious but feeds a crowd. Ultimate green bean casserole is amazing!
I tested my newer version back at Christmas dinner and everyone loved it. Since then I’ve made it a couple more times to make sure I’ve got it just right to share with you.
Green Bean Casserole for 20
As I mentioned before, this casserole is more suited to feeding a crowd and will easily serve twenty to twenty five people. Leftovers are no problem either because it reheats beautifully.
Here’s what I did…throw out the French cut green beans. It is not that I don’t like them but I think they don’t hold up well in a casserole and I want my green beans to have a little bite and texture to them.
Just use regular “cut” green beans instead. Problems solved. Next, add loads of flavor with pepper jack cheese, cream of mushroom and cream of onion soup, cheddar flavored and original fried onions, sauteed onions, and a bit of seasoning.
By the way….while I am thinking about it, I want to mention something. I’ve heard a lot of folks have to ask about whether or not you dilute cream of whatever soup when using it in a recipe. The answer is no, not unless the recipe specifically states to do that.
Easy Side Dish Recipes
Okay y’all, let’s put this absolutely delicious green bean casserole together!
Step 1: Saute the diced onion in a tablespoon of butter until it begins to soften then add it to a large mixing bowl along with the green beans, canned soups, about 3/4 of the grated pepper jack, the French’s cheddar fried onions, salt and cracked black pepper. Mix to combine.
Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C)
Step 2: Add the green bean mixture to a large casserole dish then top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 45 minutes. Top the casserole with French’s original fried onions the last ten minutes of baking.
Green Bean Casserole Add Ins: Other ingredient options you might like are cooked sausage or bacon, mushrooms, nuts or peppers….spice it up with diced jalapeno.
Ultimate Green Bean Casserole
- 2- 50 oz Cans of Cut Green Beans, drained
- 2- 10.5 oz Canned Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 10.5 oz Cream of Onion Soup
- 8 oz Pepper Jack Cheese, grated and divided
- 1/2 c Sauteed Diced Onion
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 6 oz French's Cheddar Fried Onions
- 6 oz French's Original Fried Onions
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the green beans, creamed soups, ⅔ grated pepper Jack cheese, salt, pepper and cheddar fried onions.
- In a small pan, saute the chopped onion in a tablespoon of butter then add it to the green bean mixture and combine.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour the green bean mixture into a rectangle casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Top the green bean casserole with original fried onions the last ten minutes of cooking.
- Allow the casserole to rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
To reheat green bean casserole, cover with foil and bake in a 325°F oven until warmed through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 478mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g
“Weather means more when you have a garden. There’s nothing like listening to a shower and thinking how it is soaking in around your green beans.” ~ Marcelene Cox